Never means never

I did this before and lasted 18 months, I can’t emphasise enough, NEVER THINK YOU CAN HAVE JUST ONE. my 1 turned into 9 months until I got the pma to start again. Well done everyone for even wanting to stop.

18 Likes

If we don’t take one drink for one day, then we have a chance for a life of freedom.

11 Likes

Yes! Thank you for the reminder @Dolse71!

I saved this comment to my phone. Thanks!

2 Likes

I agree with this. My “drink” turned into a year long relapse followed by 2 more rehabs. A lesson you and I had to learn the hard way, but a good lesson to learn. Thanks to the rooms of AA and my higher power I haven’t had to go out and have “one” in over 22 months.

7 Likes

Well done for 22 months, as you well know the trick is learning from these lessons and becoming stronger and wiser.

1 Like

Not posted on this thread for a long long time but I saw the title and on reflection after the recent events and emotions that have happened I’ve come to realise how long never is going to be. I can’t explain to people new to recovery how important it is to never look into the future, never imagine a situation where you have already given yourself a reason to drink. Yesterday I gave myself an excuse, a justification of I need and deserve to be drunk. It doesn’t exist, it’s not our reality, I also wish I could fly but sitting there flapping all day isn’t going to help.

2 Likes

so I find myself here again, in the difficult times I like to reflect on what being sober means. I’ve had every reason under the sun, or snow, to drink or take drugs today and yesterday bc that’s what people like us do, we revert to type, we do what we do best and run and hide behind our wall of addiction, our little safe place where we can’t be hurt.
except this time yet again I didn’t. It tore me apart not to drink, I DIDN’T KNOW HOW I WAS GOING TO DRINK AND I DIDN’T KNOW HOW I WASN’T GOING TO DRINK. it’s an impossible emotion but there really is nothing that can possibly get better by using,never means never does not mean never drink to me anymore, it means there can never be a good enough reason. Yes it still hurts after 100 days and no I’m not always happy I’m sober but these are just passing thoughts and emotions, they don’t stay around long enough to have relevance, the facts are I Am Still Sober. This I can live with.

10 Likes

So very proud and happy for you. Your hard work and determination don’t go unnoticed. Nor does your kindness to new folks. Every day sober is a gift, we mustn’t take for granted.

1 Like

You’re being pushed to your limits and you’re still sober. You’re absolutely amazing. I’m so proud of you friend. :hugs: :two_hearts:

1 Like

thank you, and being told nice things on here never gets boring, we all work so emotional hard we deserve every, I’m proud of you, post we get. I’m only awake now bc my friend is lost in a bottle of whisky after finding his mum dead on the bathroom floor last night. I will cry but not until I know he’s asleep. Thank you again. means a lot right now.

4 Likes

So very sorry about your friend. Hope he and you can get some rest. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m happy your here. I always enjoy reading your words. We hear so much of the same things on replay but your posts are always a little refreshing to me. Good job on staying sober. And I’m so sorry about your friends mom, I can’t imagine what y’all are going through.

2 Likes

Omg Paul! Not another death?! I’m so sorry. I don’t know what to say. Sending you big hugs. :hugs:
Make sure to really feel those feelings, don’t let them build up.

1 Like

you couldn’t make it up if you tried plus a heart attack tonight, not me.

1 Like

thanks, I’m being very selfish and soaking this all up tonight, I need recharging for tommorow.

3 Likes

There’s not a damn thing wrong with that! What’s even cooler is we are saying it not to pump you up, but because we mean it. Pumping up is a bonus lol

2 Likes

I’m so sorry the last few days have been rough…day 18.5 and 19.5 have been hard here too. I’m lad you are here and post often I love reading your thoughts and ideas.

1 Like

It’s so awesome and encouraging to watch you persevere. Congratulations on pushing through the tough moments.

1 Like

This is why I say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink. When I say “no” to the first, there can’t be a second or third or eighth. I win, 100%.

If I did say “yes”, I lose, with the only thing left to be determined is just how badly I lose. Maybe I stop at 1. Maybe I drink to blackout. Maybe I just announce it here, reset and move forward. Maybe I get served with divorce papers, or wake up handcuffed to a bed in a hospital.

I wanna win, and victory is a sure thing. All I have to do is say “no” to one drink…the drink that matters…the first drink.

4 Likes