New found Sobriety

I’m 3 weeks sober now, it’s not much… but I want to be more creative with my music in 2019. I want to open up my mind to new things for personal growth as a musician! With God helping me and my sobriety I can already feel the change in my work ethic & my ability to express myself in a happy, more creative way :blush: it’s the 3 week mark for me and it’s been the hardest thing I think I’ve ever had to do, I was depressed today because it was the first time I had to deal with a bad day without Alcohol to pick me up… Do you have any advice for this early stage of sobriety?? Some words to help get over the tough hump that is my new found sobriety? God bless

11 Likes

3 weeks is fucking awesome!!! Congratulations! I completely understand the depression part it’s a tough road to recovery but just take day by day sometimes minute by minute. Talk to God and ask him to take away the obsession. Your heading the right path so just keep moving forward!

3 Likes

You mentioned God, talk to Him relentlessly. Ask Him for serenity 85 times a day if need be. Keep the dialogue flowing, you might only get a “lol, no” every once in a while but it’ll be what you need to hear.

Talking to God really changed my life. When I was finally able to talk and share my thoughts with Him, it seemed all the answers would appear right in the center of my mind. I don’t ask for anything aside from Serenity and it’s been working for me for over 11 months

1 Like

Thanks brother, this community is freaking great🤘

1 Like

Lol it’s more like sister but hey whatever works!

2 Likes

I agree 100% . . I find when I talk to God and ask for help, there is always a follow up of signs in my life indicating the change happening. And that is truly a feeling of being blessed.

1 Like

Welcome! There is so much great advice and support here. If you haven’t already found this thread it has lots of useful links and info:

Use the search bar, read, reach out. Everyone has different stories but I’m sure you will find so much you can relate to, to help you on your journey :blush:

What kind of music do you do?

Thanks for letting me know about this thread!!! (I’m still a newbie to the community) lol I know It’ll be helpful, there’s a ton this community has to offer about the right steps in sobriety I freaking love it. Well being from Texas I use to play country but I branched out and I’m reaching for astronomical success with Rock, Indie, Pop, Blues infused music!! Thank you for asking!!:metal:

1 Like

Welcome, my name is Dan too! Also a musician and sober! My high level advice:

Having a good sober support network is key in staying. Such as the good folks here, the good folks in AA, friends, family, etc.

Let go of the bad influences, like drinking buddies, habits and routines. Getting sober is like getting a new lease on life, its an amazing metamorphosis.

Good luck my friend.

3 Likes

That sounds cool. Having something positive to focus on is good… Although I guess the music industry is pretty boozy? Going to gigs and everything.

Would recommend looking at getting a copy of This Naked Mind book (or audiobook), it’s helpful to give you a different perspective on alcohol.

1 Like

Dunno if this will help you because it’s a personal thing that helped me and may not be a universal thing. Here’s what I would tell my 3-week and even current selves, based on what my journey has taught me so far:

• "Embrace the difficulty, the discomfort, the pain that comes with dealing with things sober. Pain is not an evil thing. If you feel the need to reduce your pain response, it’s going to make alcohol more attractive. Address the pain by addressing the cause, and learn to live with the pain that remains. It’ll get easier with time.

• Also remember that pain depletes you emotionally, so you will likely need something regenerative, like self care or emotional support, in order to live through the pain.

• It’s a time when many new recovery habits are still being formed as part of moving to a sober way of living, which means keeping those habits likely will require a fair amount of effort and commitment."

Edit: how could I have forgotten. Listen the heck out of people with serious sober time under their belts. If some of the advice makes you mad, that’s probably a good sign :joy: how did I hear this put? “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off”

5 Likes

Your 3 weeks is as much as my 9 months. Why, because you are sober and giving yourself a better life.

2 Likes

Just sitting and breathing helped me a lot in the beginning. Talking it out with people here. Staying busy and having something to focus on was key too at first. Could you redirect your energy into your music? Sounds like you have some great visions! We would love to hear what you create on our Musicians Unite thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you sister!!!:blush:

1 Like