New here! 3 days sober

Hi guys

New to this, please let me know your top coping mechanisms to staying Alcohol free?

Just lost my Dad too :broken_heart: 6 weeks ago suddenly & want to make him proud :blue_heart:

Thank you

Jules :hugs:

9 Likes

Hey Jules - welcome and congratulations! I am only on day 4 myself. There’s a lot of great resources if you read through the feeds but I highly recommend the book “This Naked Mind.” I’ve read it in the past (when I was “sober curious”) and it helps to reframe your perspective on alcohol. I also downloaded it on Audible and am listening to it this time around. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I can only imagine how hard this can be for you while also working through your grief. Wishing you lots of strength and love — this is a great community to lean on daily or in a time of need :pray:t2::purple_heart::sparkles:

5 Likes

Thank you :blush: I will definitely check that out :heart:

Well done & good luck with your sobriety lovely.

#we’vegotthis :hugs:

Congratulations on day 3. :grin:

Im sorry to hear about your father :hugs:

Im glad your here, we are all here for you holding your hand ok, you are not alone.

Each day gets a bit easier and take it one day at a time.

Have you tried AA meetings at all, either face to face or online using Zoom ?

This is great place to start.

Sending you hugs through the wifi :hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

I’m on day three as well!

Very sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my father when I was 15, which was actually when I started drinking (17 years ago). Good on you for using the situation to make a positive change for yourself!

2 Likes

Welcome Julie.
Congratulations on day 3.
I’m so sorry about the loss of your Dad.
This has been a great app for me to get and give support for my sobriety.

My strongest tool is gratitude. Daily Gratitude List #3 - #2 by Dazercat
The coffee is always on and we can always use more gratitude to keep us sober.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Hi Jules! Welcome. I’m new here too. 9 days sober for me. I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your father. My heart goes out to you. :heart:

You asked about coping mechanisms to stay alcohol free. Here are two things that have really been helping me.

1. Each day I try to eliminate at least one thing in my life that causes me stress or anxiety. Stress is my number one trigger. Even a burnt out light bulb feels like an unfinished task for me. So I’ve gotten serious about knocking things off my to-do list and it is really helping me be focused on something else other than having my oh-so-NOT-precious wine. My goal is at least one item a day. Today the doorbell, air filters, and baseboards got it! Maybe I’ll feel good enough tomorrow to finally call the cable company. :wink:

2. I started a bedtime routine which I haven’t had in years. I start preparing around 7pm and then try lights out by 9pm. And by preparing I mean I get a bath and get myself in bed usually by 7:30pm and I just relax, write, or read. I make myself stop working on the house or my computer. I no longer look at it as wasting time, I now say to myself that I am investing time…time into me…time into my sobriety! This has also helped me with the daytime fatigue that comes along with not drinking.

Those are two things that help me.

Eliminating triggers and getting rest! You can do this! Stay strong new friend!

3 Likes

Welcome! Just take it day by day and for me I know what my triggers are and try to stay away from certain people these few days since I’m in my early stage of sobriety. Stay strong you got this :heart:

2 Likes

Aww thanks everyone what a lovely bunch of people :heart:

Definitely taking on board these tips especially with it been my first weekend in a very long time :hugs:

Thank you so much for your kind words & support it means the world :earth_americas:

We’ve got this, in it together will make us stronger :muscle:

Xxxx
Jules
Xxxx

1 Like

Maybe try ameeting might help , sorry for your loss .

1 Like

Welcome. Alcohol isn’t my DOC, but finding something else to bury myself into or doing something active to burn off anxious energy of wanting to give in really helps me.

I’m sorry to hear about your father. My heart goes out to you for your loss. I hope you are able to find peace in this difficult time.

1 Like