New here, a newly clear mind

Hello everyone. My name is Ashley and I despite drinking heavily for many years, I have recently classified myself as an alcoholic. I’ve struggled with alcohol for many years, despite functioning and excelling in my career. I recently have come to conclusion that if I continue on the path that I’ve lived for 12 years, that I won’t be around for my children, husband and family. Many of my family members and coworkers have no idea or do not know to what extent that I abuse alcohol. My own husband doesn’t think I have a problem…he thinks that I need serious help for anxiety and that will cure all. I personally think abstaining is that only way for me. I’ve read many of your posts and they have given me much insight and strength over the past few days. I will be 5 days sober tonight. My mind hasn’t been this clear in years. Anyway, nice to “meet” everyone! :grinning:

16 Likes

Welcome. Great work on 5 days!

Congrats and welcome!! Day 4 here. Every day is going to get a little better!

Congrats to you as well. It is so crazy how differently I feel. I am so hungry and craving sugar! Could be worse I suppose. I could be pouring the first of many glasses of weekend wine.

Good to know.

Hi Ashley - and welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I’ve struggled for years with anxiety and depression. I drank to cope. Among the many benefits to getting sober has been an unexpected but huge improvement in my emotional health. My anxiety feels very manageable these days, and I’m happier than I have been in years. Those improvements happened relatively quickly.

Quitting was not easy. Some days I still struggle, but admitting that I’m an alcoholic and fighting to stay sober is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself - and for my family. This forum is a wealth of information and a huge source of support. In short order I found folks who now know my darkest secrets and love and support me anyway. I’m glad you are here. Keep checking in - and when it gets hard, remember that the only decision you have to make is to not drink today.

4 Likes

The anxiety is definitely a big part of my drinking problem (like many abusers). Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Tom. I have found this forum to be really helpful. Alcohol stripped me of just about everything worthwhile in life - my marriage, much less time with my kids, a job, all within about 18 months. It is particularly difficult because I now live alone in a crappy little rental house two blocks from my “real” house. While not yet divorced, my wife and I are separated and I only see my kids a few times a week (and it is even worse right now as she has the kids on vacation for two weeks, so I don’t even have that). The isolation and loneliness can be a killer.

I have been at this for awhile - having gone to treatment three times in three years - and in and out of AA. I have a sponsor, essentially have the Big Book memorized, and have read just about every recovery book out there. But it is one thing to understand it - it is quite another to FEEL it.

I can attest to one thing now from my own experience - it only gets worse, never better. It is chronic, progressive, and ultimately a slow suicide. And it wrecks your quality of life.

I am not one of those guys we hear at meetings who will say, “I knew I was an alcoholic from my very first drink.” It took me about 29 years to drink myself into it. But then Wham! Consequence after consequence. Once it stops being social and becomes medicinal, it becomes a big problem.

So I am just venting, mostly out of loneliness while my family is away. My “advice” to others, if you want to call it that, is try and get it right the first time. I know relapse is a part of the disease and I have met very few people who just decided to quit and it stuck permanently. But if you think treatment sucks the first time, try the third or fourth.

Thankfully I am out of the withdrawal and detox stages, and never want to go there again. I wish everyone on here nothing but the best, and really appreciate the support.

4 Likes

You appear to have an excellent outlook and view on why you are doing this! Our story seems to be fairly similar. Welcome, I’m glad you’re here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am glad I found this forum. :purple_heart:

It seems like you have the right mindset now. You can do this!

Welcome! I think stories like yours are common. I fall into a similar category. Good career raised a family, but drinking to much for many years. Nothing glaringly obvious, no jail or dv but you know inside something has to change. I get it. Again good to have you along!

I have definitely done some terrible and regrettable things. I’ve just never suffered immense consequences from doing so. Thank you.

I’m new! This is hard. Lol

This is my day 1. I’ve tried to do this before, been pursuing sobriety for two months, but about 2 weeks in, every time, I convince myself I can have “just one drink” which never, ever ends well, obviously. I’m ready to stop listening to that voice that tells me I’m able to have one and stop. This post is my baby step to going to a meeting this weekend (I’m so nervous to go to AA but it looks like it really helps lots of people)

I’m so excited to never drink again. Even typing that sentence feels like putting down a huge weight.

Thanks for reading. Reading all your posts on this thread is really encouraging!

2 Likes