New here and starting again

Hi everyone. I am new here. Used a similar app from January to March before I started drinking again. That was after a very drunken day out going on a brewery tour then deciding to go to a pub where I was told to leave as I was getting quite lairy. Then managed to be stopped by the police when I was drunkenly walking out as they were worried about my behaviour. Then I went home and had a go at my neighbour. During that time I stayed away from alcohol but slowly got drawn back in mainly just by seeing people drinking when going past pubs or seeing advertisements on tv or seeing all the alcohol in shops.

Anyway started again in March thinking I could drink in moderation. Started off slowly then it picked up again as usual. I mainly only drink before football matches either in a pub or in the stadium and have met lots of people that way. I was drinking mainly to get a buzz to make the whole experience being at a game even more fun, but I know that I get really silly by afterwards singing on the street, talking to all sorts of randoms in my craziness to convince them to love my team. Just last Saturday, I thought it was a good idea to go to a few pubs after a game when I already had eight pints! Ended up having a few more, talking to everyone in the pub about football and falling over while attempting to dance so was asked to leave. Then went to another pub and fell asleep…

This kind of behaviour happens most times now when I drink. When I started again in March, it started slowly as I said, but then I started drinking at half time during a game. So it would be a standard of seven pints per match. I am also on Prozac which has been amazing for my mental health so I should not be drinking at all, let alone to the excess I have been doing so. I am surprised I have not been thrown out of a game or someone has started a fight with me for my lairiness.

Anyway, my life is better than ever otherwise with work and where I live so I wish I could just stop this stupid drinking on the weekend and just enjoy what I have. I love reading history, I want to get back into badminton and take up running again. I used to have an addiction to online dating which I have got under control (not been on it for a month or so and don’t miss it). I might get bored over the summer and get back onto it but I know that could be a trigger to drink again.

I am not making promises to myself like I am not going to drink ever again because I am not sure that will quite work. I am taking each day at a time (well mainly each weekend at a time) and see how I get on. I was sober for two months before so my aim is to go three months while the football season will be finished. Hopefully by then I will decide to carry on and not get back into it.

I have been self reflecting a lot over the past two days and just want to make this change. Even if I fall off, I will just get back on. I know I can do it but I know the temptations will come eventually but I guess we can only do it in the here and now. I don’t want to be that stupid drunken guy anymore. It runs in my family and have seen a lot of drunkenness growing up so I don’t want to carry on being that guy.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

6 Likes

Welcome to the group Tony :slightly_smiling_face:. My best recommendation for you would be to just focus on today… tomorrow will sort itself out. Have a look around here.

Resources for our recovery

Best wishes

2 Likes

I agree with Dan. I was dreading today as my story is like yours but of course not completely. We are all humans and individuals. I learned from this group over the weekend to focus on the moment. I kept myself busy talked to people here and now I’m on day 5 and feeling good and also facing the truths within myself. Good that you are self reflecting. I did a lot of that over the weekend. Just know that it takes one day at a time. Keep posting here - I couldn’t find anywhere in person to shed my vents, rants etc. but I found here. Got to say it has helped. Take care of you and hang in there. Hugs

4 Likes

I’m a massive football fan and have regularly done all the match day drinking to go with it. I’ve got into the states you’ve described and worse probably. Try not to beat yourself up over it. It doesn’t matter what other people think. It matters that you’ve acknowledged the problem and want to get better. I went to the football this weekend and didn’t drink - it’s a hell of a lot better experience, you end up without a hangover and no feeling of guilt that you vaguely remember shouting something abusive, offending someone etc. However, the football on show was still shit :joy:

2 Likes