New here. Can I just reach out when Im struggling?

Hey. New here. I dont do meetings

anymore. But its ni
ce to chat when Im on shaky legs. If I reach out to kist say Im craving will someone offer me some guidance? I seem to make it to day 4 or 5 then the wheels fall off…everytime

3 Likes

You can definitely reach out, it’s one of the reasons we’re here! Are you struggling right now?

Also, I’d like to hear about what you plan to do to stay sober if it’s not meetings. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s usually always someone here to listen. And give some advice. Hope you are doing well

1 Like

Yes! Hi :wave:

There’s so much support here. There is a search bar which you can use to look through anything you’re thinking about. I find it really helpful to know that other people have had similar experiences to me. All our stories are different but I’m sure you will find lots you can relate to.

This is also a great place to start, lots of useful links and advice:

1 Like

Well actually I live in a small town teaching English right now in Vietnam. There are no meetings here anyway, and if there were, no one here speaks English. The first few weeks I was totally staying sober. But I found a vodka seller and slowly started back in my old ways. Ive been exersizing everyday, but around day 5 I really get a craving. It usually has something to do with HALT, so I should really try to recognize that and deal with it instead of drinking…other than that, I figured Id join this group and hang on! Someone on reddit mentioned this app today so I thought Id give it a go. Im not craving today. Im on day 1.5. Drank on Thursday and literally could not move all of friday. Good thing I didnt have to work. But reminded me that I need to keep the plug in the jug

4 Likes

Have you tried doing any meditation? I have found as well as helping me find some calm it can make it easier to recognise/catch those trains of thought.

I have tried. I could try harder though. I usually get stir crazy after meditating for 5 mins lol but Ill give it more effort if its useful

I find it useful but everyone is different!

I use the Calm app, I tried the 7 days of calm and then bought the subscription so I don’t know how much free content there is. YouTube has lots, there’s a few here:

If you can’t go to meetings in person then you can do online smart recovery meetings, you must have Internet as you have come to the forum, it’s worth a go

2 Likes

Ok. I know I was interested in SMART recovery when I was in treatment. I am a believer in CBT moreso than a higher power no offense to anyone. Just my opinion. In fact the backlash I experienced from voicing my opinion is the main reason I do not attend AA. But thats neither here nor there.

1 Like

I like the CBT route, I did a 6 week course and then went on to smatt