New here. Just came home from rehab... scared

Don’t know where to start. I got out of 3+ days in rehab yesterday. The doc gave me something for sleep, and Gabapentin (300m every 8 hr) for anxiety. I didn’t have anxiety diagnosis before entering rehab, so this is new to me. Prescribed to help with withdrawal I think. I was so sure yesterday when I left that i would only take them as needed… then a couple hours before bed I started feeling anxious. Twitchy, like i couldn’t sit still, racing thoughts, what if i can’t do this, fear. I did a little breathing the ‘Oohm’ thing i have done for years just to relieve stress… it worked, for the most part, but it made me decide to go ahead and take the gab at bed time.

I woke up a few minutes ago and my mind is racing, worried about the gab, and if i should take it or only when i need it, then i start thinking of what if i need it, but didn’t take it and that results in a relapse. So i took it. But I’m so afraid of trading one issue (drinking) for another.

I don’t know if I’m looking for advice, reassurance, or just getting my thoughts down on the record.

Thanks for reading.

10 Likes

Welcome!

I just wanted to take a moment to say you’re reservations are completely logical. I also believe understanding that you don’t want to trade one thing for another is paramount. So I applaud your self awareness.

If I may give you one piece of advice it’s this. Cravings and wants are temporary BUT regret last forever because regardless of what your brain tells you, you’re not going to collapse and die because you want something. Regardless what it is (minus food and water lol)

Thanks for the comments. I was afraid of dying from the alcohol. Then from the withdrawal, hence the rehab. The alcohol was literally killing me (too long a story to tell here). Regret… that’s something i definitely want to avoid. If i relapse… that would be something i would regret. Thanks for the kind words and advice.

1 Like

Welcome to your new home! This is a wonderful place to be. Take your time and read the multiple posts. I always get great advice from the individuals on this platform. I hate anxiety and I suffer greatly from it. Use your tools and continue on this path. This is a good place.

3 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman:
Its great to have you join the community :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you. I’m here to be with people who know what I’m going through because they’ve been there.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m happy to have people to talk to.

Welcome! You’re in the right place. I hope you can find something on this website that’s helpful. I have. Take care. You could look up some AA meetings in your area. :unicorn:

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m looking for one of the other types of meetings. AA just doesn’t fit me

2 Likes

Thought i responded to you but dont see it here. Thank you!. I’m doing better than i expected… but not going to let my guard down.

1 Like

Hey there, welcome! If AA doesn’t feel like the right fit, look into SMART Recovery, Women in Sobriety, Refuge Recovery or Recovery Dharma. What have you been doing so far to stay sober?

2 Likes

Gab has been used for years and isn’t addictive. I would absolutely take it as directed to get the anxiety under control. Figuring out what you need to do to stay sober is critical. I do AA and The Luckiest Club for sobriety support online meetings.

2 Likes

Jennifer I applaud you for recognizing that AA isn’t your thing. That tells me you are putting some real thought into quitting. There are other platforms you can locate them on the internet. Smart Recovery is just one of them. Each day gets better. Consult a doctor for the medications to make sure you are taking them correctly. I was in a 30 day rehab and left with taking some medication also. Doctor monitored and is very helpful. Welcome to this site and joining all us recovering addicts! We are here to help each other.

3 Likes

Try and take it as prescribed. I got addicted to gabapentin

3 Likes

Im looking into the groups, thanks for the suggestion. I scheduled an appointment with the psychiatrist yesterday. I see him on the 3rd. Gotta keep moving forward, no going back

4 Likes

Getting addicted is what I’m afraid of

2 Likes

Thanks for the club suggestion. I’m hearing it is addictive… I’ll ask the psychiatrist when i see him next week

4 Likes