New here, looking for support and answers

So i am new here, currently have almost 5 days sober (hours away) the first few days were absolutely hell for me, i used to smoke weed heavily daily for about 8 years and recently had to stop cold turkey due to health issues (no cancer or anything like that thankfully) but i have noticed in the mornings i feel really dehydrated even though ive been drinking a lot of water gatorade and body armour (body armour for my vitamins and minerals ive been unable to get by eating as ive barely been able to keep down a chicken tender in these past 5 days) and every morning without fail i get sick to my stomach and either vomit (sorry if this is tmi) or come dangerously close to it. I was just wondering those of you trying to quit weed, have you gone through this as well? If so what did you do to help not feel this way?

3 Likes

Welcome Aaron. I’m proud of you for deciding to become sober and obtaining 5 days.

I highly recommend checking in daily to keep focus in the checking daily to maintain focus thread.

I also recommend finding some activities to fill time like, running, cycling, working out, meditation/mindfulness, crafts, drawing, reading etc.

Mindfulness is very useful for letting go of the past. It teaches you to not put weight on thoughts.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot on this forum and asking questions if you have any.

You can make sobriety a lot easier. It’s really hard to think about staying sober for the rest of my life. If I think, do I want to stay sober for the rest of my life? I think hell no. But I can and want to stay sober for today. The next day, I also think I can stay sober for today. and so on.

Don’t think about not using for life but think about not using today. Do that every day, and it gets way easier. If you are very deep in the shit, you can even think, I’ll stay sober the next 5 minutes.

Don’t listen to your mind, your mind will not stop being a dick, it will be a dick less and less, but it will never fully stop being a dick.

If you have cravings, just play the tape. By that I mean, pretend that you abuse again, then try foreseeing the future. Will it be all butterflies and roses, because you feel so awesome when relapsing, or will it be shame, self-disgust and disappointment you feel.

When your mind tells you that you can use once, that’s bullshit, the biggest bullshit ever. Your addiction just tries to find a way to get satisfied.

I also recommend following the twelve step-program with a sponsor.

I hope this helps

Good luck, you’ve got this. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for your quick and helpful response :smile: i definitely will keep all of these things in mind, currently as ive felt sick to my stomach ive been rewatching older tv shows with lots of episodes (the simpsons, impractical jokers, its always sunny in philly) to pass the time but was looking into getting back into my old hobbies when im not so sick feeling, thankfully i can say i havent even been tempted to go back to smoking, not yet at least. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there! Weed wasn’t my DOC, it was alcohol, but your withdrawal symptoms sound similar to mine. Hopefully someone on this forum can give you more specific advice. I’m positive it will get better, though. I started coming out of my withdrawal symptoms by day 5. Welcome to TS!

Sounds like we quit around the same time then :slight_smile: im hoping it does right now my biggest issue is my appetite and keeping fold down, the occasional dehydration feeling in the morning and always morning sickness. Hoping i dont need to be monitored until these issues go away tbh

May I ask @anon89207786 how old you are if you do not mind. Your profile said 17, I am under the assumption that that is a typo with the amount of knowledge you possess concerning addiction and how recovery works. If it’s not a typo then I am incredibly impressed young man. You are old soul wise beyond your years. Keep up the good work. :heart:

1 Like

The first 72 hours were hell for me, i also am prone to panic/anxiety attacks and the withdrawals made them a million times worse during those first 3 days, one night i even remember going completely numb. The reason why i had to quit was because i was coughing, spitting and throwing up blood and the doctor said it was because of those dab pens, they had enflamed my esophagus, i used to smoke one of those a week or a little under two gs of flower a day for 8 years as a refrence point. After the first 72 hours i was able to sleep (still have difficulty falling/staying asleep but i at least get sleep now) sense then ive been working on my appetite and was able to eat a full chicken sandwich last night however i did need the help of some medication (just told doctor everything that ive gone through and he made the decision to medicate)

1 Like

It isn’t a typo, I learned a lot in rehab.
Thanks for the kind words

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate that a lot

1 Like

For weed time was the best thing I could do. It took me around 30 days before my sleep and appetite returned. Try eating some light food when you have your Gatorade. As for the nausea I recommend seeing a doctor. Sometimes we think everything is withdrawal when it actually could be something else.

Its all good @Becsta, i am lucky enough to have a very supportive family i live with currently and the r/leaves community has also been an amazing help. The people there are quitting weed specifically and has been a great source of motivation, inspiration, and honestly its made me not feel so alone :slight_smile: they have live chats for an hour a couple times a day which has also allowed me to slowly reconnect with people. I was actually put on a medication for my anxiety by my doctor the day i decided to quit so i was getting adjusted to it during the first 72 hours as well. Ive also had to take medication to help me eat and not feel so nauseated all the time but thats definitely not the case for everyone, but if it gets to the point where he goes 5 days without eating solid food it may be worth while to at least talk to a doctor. @Englishd thank you for your experience :slight_smile: i was thankfully able to eat my first full chicken sandwich last night, after i took the nausea pill i honestly almost couldnt stop myself from eating, i ate a little chicken at first and when i got done my stomach growled and i had half a sandwich, same thing happened when i finished that and ate another half. Had to stop there though because i didnt want to shock my system, its getting better day by day but this morning i feel almost normal, little sick when i first woke up but much more normal :slight_smile:

2 Likes