New here! Please read

Hi my name is Rikki and I’m an addict. My DOC is alcohol. I’m 37 days clean and I have two beautiful daughters who I love so much! They are 10 and 2.
I’m in it for the long haul any advice?

17 Likes

Congrats on 37!days clean! That is a big feat! And your on the right track in my opinion. Best thing I did was surround myself with like minded individuals like on this app and meetings and such! Loo forward to talking to you!

4 Likes

Welcome, Rikki! Congrats on a month+ sober.

Best I can recommend is to read around. So much experience, wisdom and support here. Maybe check out a recovery program as well? I did one and found it really helped learning how to adjust to a happy, sober life.

Also, here’s a great thread for daily support and accountability!

3 Likes

Hey Rikki !!! What has done it for me where it never worked before is my AA fellowship. At least give it a small try and I think you will be amazed. Sending lots of Hope your way !

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 37 days Rikki. That’s awesome.
I’m sure you’ll get some advice.

My strongest tool is gratitude. Every single morning I do my gratitude list right here. Even more if I’m struggling. It’s a great thread to start with by posting what you’re grateful for. And just as importantly reading what we are all grateful for now that we are sober.

In recovery, we either learn to be grateful, or we don’t last. Gratitude is the air of recovery. Gratitude is what makes the lungs of recovery fill, the heart beat, and the life flow. The attitude of gratitude focuses on what we have rather than what we don’t.

Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Welcome Rikki and congrats on 37 days!
What’s helping me is reading daily on this forum and attending AA meetings.
If you’re looking for a program, here’s a link with a list of them: Resources for our recovery

3 Likes

Hello! Congratulations on stay sober! Just stay clean.

2 Likes

Hi Rikki. Welcome! I am on day 36 of my alcohol free life so if you ever need motivation know that there is another addict out there chasing your total by a day. Keep it up! :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You’ve already gotten some good advice that I won’t repeat for the most part.

Make being sober your mission in life. Spend time getting some real concrete reasons why you want to be and stay sober. Yes you have two beautiful daughters. Great. But that’s too vague. Be specific. If your daughters are a big reason for you, then specify what about your interactions with them, or what you want from them, that you want to get out of being sober. Specify your whys. Make a list of the cons and the pros of being sober. Yes, cons first because once you start listing the pros you can see just how small those cons are.
Think about how you will stay sober. What are the situations and feelings that make you reach for a drink? Figure out methods of coping that do not include alcohol.

Write all of these things down and look at them daily, at the very least, and add to them as needed. Keep a smaller and more condensed list or paper where you can see it on your bathroom mirror. Look at it while you brush your teeth, so you can look into the mirror and see yourself. You are the main character in your own story. Be the hero. See yourself as the hero. Close your eyes at night and really see and feel yourself being that sober hero.

Also, don’t be afraid to try things. Try meetings, even if you’re not Christian or religious. Try online zoom meetings (we have one available on this forum). Be active in this forum. Find friends who don’t drink. Watch your thoughts, for they fuel your emotions, and thus eventually become your actions.

Try therapy, or meditation. Make yourself one of your priorities and make sure you get some time to relax. If you have to, let go of friends who don’t support your decision to be sober. Love yourself. Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself like you would treat a beloved friend.

Those are just some ideas. There are a million more that people can share, I’m sure. Find what works for you. If you try something and it doesn’t work after genuine effort, let it go. Not everything works for everyone.

But seriously, write stuff down. By hand, not on a computer. It will make a difference.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Welcome! Start by being active here. Be open to advice, and have fun…lots of great people here.

2 Likes