New Hobbies?

I’ve spent so long in the bottle that I’ve lost touch with what I actually like to do for fun other than drink. I’m looking to pick up a new hobby to occupy my mind and bring joy to my life. Has anyone started a new hobby that has brought new meaning to them in sobriety?

2 Likes

Here’s a thread you may find helpful
Hobbies and Interests

1 Like

Me yes, I’ve picked up my love of walking and have turned it into a hobby.
Never had the motivation when I was active in my addiction. Used to say “yeah I’d love to go for a walk”.
Now I’ve climbed Snowdon 3 times in one month, twice in one day.
I’m walking with a loaded ruck and do wildcamping.
I’m going to the Peak District next weekend for a night hike.
The options I have are endless.
2 years ago I was a drunken bum on my sofa watching TV every day.
Do whatever you want, because you can.

2 Likes

I learned how to draw, somewhat. It’s a cheap hobby, kept my hands busy, and had something between immediate satisfaction and long term satisfaction. I bought a few books, but you can watch YouTube videos to learn.

1 Like

Heck yeah, I was the same. Get home from work at 230, drink a 18 rack untill it was finished. And not to do anything else, I didn’t hike, swim, fold laundry, do housework, litteraly nothing but eat, drink and go to the bathroom lol. Now I’m jogging, lifting, biking, gonna swim along the shore once summer comes. I’m finally cleaning and doing the laundry, not everyday, but more then what I was lol. We seriously do forget what we liked bc all we thought about was that next drink. Try to go back and remember what you liked doing before the alcohol

2 Likes

I took up dancing. Swing dance and Salsa for example. That one is on hold right now of course. I also started taking studying on my own. I have improved my skills for work by learning a few major technologies which is something I really enjoy. Now that we are stuck inside I am embracing my inner…ok mostly outer nerd and painting my board game minis.

Bushwalking, 4x4, fishing, music, eating out, buying cool stuff you never had before, going to random events, have fun