New Member Greetings

Just a new guy here. Wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for being brave and embracing the struggle. You’re stories here are encouraging to me, so i know they motivate others.

My name is Jerry. I’m an addict in recovery. Dual diagnosis of bipolar disorder, ptsd and addiction. I self medicated with everything but my D.O.C was stimulants ie cocaine, meth, mdma.

I’ve been battling addiction for a long time. For me, when i began my journey to God, is when things began to change dramatically. In 2003, i quit using, i became celibate, i quit smoking after 20 years. In 2005, clarity began to seep in and it became easier. Until the memories and crippling regret and shame came with it. The more accountable i began holding myself, three more crushed i was that i could have been the person that i had been for so many years. In my broken mind escapism, the very thing that created the problem, was my choice to deal with the problem. I relapsed for 2 days. Pulled myself up out of the mud, and began my journey again.

I stayed celibate for an astonishing 7 years. For someone who most likely was a sex addict too, this was a miracle. However it’s cleansing and empowering to look at a woman and not immediately “size her up”. I learned to have a deeper respect for women in general and this allowed me to foster some pretty fantastic friendships with women i would have blown off if we couldn’t “come to an agreement”. Another blessing from doing the right thing. As a newly established Christian my abstinence was a result of spiritual principle in that i didn’t want to have sex again until i married.

Again, the blessings came around. I met my wife, we dated in 2012-13 and got married in late 2014. She is a square in the sense that she has never used or had more than a cocktail or two ever in life. A virgin and a life long Christian. I wasnt even slightly worthy to talk to her much less marry her.

She believed and believes in me. She, like my higher power, sees value in me and potential. She is grace and love. The most intelligent, kind, big hearted, moral, beautiful, capable, funny, resilient human being i have ever met next to my mom.

This September we will have been happily married 7 years. She by the grace of God heals me and I’m grateful for a chance to right my wrongs and salvage the remaining years of my life clean and without the clouds of addiction robbing me of happiness and self respect.

Thanks for listening.

11 Likes

Welcome :butterfly: Thank you for sharing your story. I’m on my 6th day sober today with my boyfriend from alcohol. I’m starting to feel a little better each day. Hope you the best in your journey :black_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you very very much. I sense the sincerity and warmth in your words. For my wife and i both i appreciate it.

My relationship with intimacy was dysfunctional too. It takes time to reset and recalibrate. However believe me when i tell you: It’s possible. Being celibate helps that reset process. I never thought i would be able to enjoy sex to the same degree without being tweaked. However i cancer to realize that their was no real intimacy there. Just carnality.

Real intimacy is found in expression and communication. Being completely present and interested in the person you’re with not as an object but as an individual you care about and want to express to them how you feel about them versus using them for release.

It took me years to learn that valuable lesson. It took celibacy and recovery to drive it home. I wish you all the happiness and healthy love the world has to offer Stella.

1 Like

I love this, thanks for sharing! I’m new here as well and for awhile I’ve been convincing myself that substances weren’t an issue in my life. I have changed my stance on that and admitted my problem to some close friends. I’m excited to take this journey and make a healthy change in my life!

2 Likes

What a great introduction Jerry, thank you for sharing. It sounds like you’ve had quite the journey. I’m really happy for you that you’ve been able to find this kind of success. Out of the ashes we can rise to our greatest triumphs. Your wife sounds like an amazing woman. Welcome and hope to see you around TS more.

Welcome Jerry and thank you for sharing your story…i hope you find this forum as friendly and useful as I have. Join us on the check in thread, it’s a great form of accountability. Here’s the link:
Checking in Daily to Maintain Focus #14