New Moon Astrology for Sobriety

The Talking Sober New Moon Report

New moons in general tend to be a good time to start something as the energy in the air is that of a brand new lunar cycle. For those looking to begin their sobriety journey, the new moon tends to be a good time. While this is still the case for this new moon, it’s going to be a difficult energy to do so.

This new moon is in Cancer, a very emotional energy that can tend to pull in on itself to try and protect itself from the world; but Cancer is also representative of the home and family. In the context of your sobriety, this is a good energy to make a goal in that area of your life. Is there a way you can work with your home and family that will help you succeed in your sobriety goals? Perhaps–if you are at that point in your sobriety journey–there is an intention you can set to help you reach out to those in your family you’ve harmed to make amends.

The Cancer new moon is tightly opposing the planet Saturn bringing a sense of having to be real with yourself, no matter how uncomfortable that might be. You may be forced to face the person you were while you were drunk or high, and how that affected others, especially your family. It will be hard to lie to yourself around this new moon and these truths, while difficult, may spur you forward to decide you want to change or that you never want to return to that life.

There may be a sense of restriction as well, as if you keep trying to move forward only to find your way being blocked at every turn. Know that this is temporary. It will pass if you keep pushing forward. While Saturn’s energy can be difficult to navigate, there is also the sense that hard work will be rewarded.

For those just starting their sobriety, know that the energy is here to support you moving forward. You just need to decide to put in the work and you can do it.

Areas of life, by sign, that this ‘starting’ energy will be most prominent:

Aries:
The focus is very specifically on your family and home life as a whole. How do you fit within the family structure? This is a new moon focused on your place in your family. Sometimes we give up our ‘place’ in the family as we focus on using or drinking, and if this is something that applies to you, it may be a good time to make an intention to return to that ‘place’ in the family. This may be a trying new moon for you, but remember you are strong and you can do it.

Taurus:
The focus on this new moon is communication with your family–especially your siblings and/or possibly even neighbors who might be close to your family. Is there anything you can do to improve relations that might have been harmed during the time you used? Goals or intentions around how you want to improve communications with your family will be supported. Perhaps you have something you want to say connected with your sobriety journey. This is a good energy to make an intention around that.

Gemini:
The focus of this new moon energy is on money and/or possessions relating to family or your home life. Are there any goals you can make in this area? Did you borrow or take money from family members when you weren’t sober that you’ve yet to pay back? There is a strong supportive energy toward making goals to improve the financial situation of your own family.

Cancer:
The focus of this new moon is on your place in your family and your self esteem. How does the way you view yourself factor into your sobriety and how that, in turn, affects your family? Are there any goals you can make that will help you focus on yourself, to improve the way you view yourself as you work through your sobriety? Remember, your family can only benefit by you working on your self image. The energy of the new moon will be especially strong for you. If you work hard, even if you have delays or frustrations, you can reach your goal.

Leo:
The focus of this new moon is on your spirituality. This does not necessarily mean religion. Meditation will be very good for you during this time, especially if you find yourself struggling in your sobriety. Your family can feel your energy and they respond accordingly. This is a good time to make an intention that focuses on how you use and focus your energy during your sobriety and where you see yourself as part of the universe as a whole.

Virgo:
The focus of this new moon is on your hopes, dreams, and wishes. What do you hope to accomplish in your sobriety? What are your dreams? Where do you see yourself with your family as you live a sober and clean life? This is a wonderful time to think about that and make a goal in that area for yourself. Make a plan, write it down, organize a checklist. However works for you and your process.

Libra:
The focus of this new moon is on your career and/or public life. Don’t be afraid to examine how your addiction affected your career and how the world sees you, and look for goals in your recovery about how you can improve your public standing and find balance between that and your home life. This may be a difficult new moon for you. You may feel like you’re squaring off with someone or something, but you will learn a good lesson if you allow yourself to be positive and humble.

Scorpio:
The focus of this new moon is going to be on how religion or higher learning fits into your sobriety. Or possibly a legal issue. How are you incorporating your higher power into your recovery? How does this fit in your home and family structure? This is also a good new moon to consider some kind of higher education. This could be university, or some kind of certification, or perhaps diving deep into the 12 steps.

Sagittarius:
The focus of this new moon is on sexuality and on ‘death’ and ‘rebirth’. We ‘die’ and are ‘reborn’ in a very real way as we decide to let go of the life we had previously and decide to be ‘born’ into a life of sobriety. It is a good time to take a look at those choices you’re making and explore where you might need to put more focus in your sobriety journey. Goals or intentions surrounding how you connect with your partner through sexuality are also good at this time. Strengthening that connection–especially if it was lost or lessened during the time you weren’t sober/clean–can help solidify that partnership children in the family look to as being the ‘rock’ in the family.

Capricorn:
The focus on this new moon is partnership, whether your romantic partnership. If your relationship is on the rocks due to past drug and alcohol use, this is a very good new moon to make an intention to strengthen that bond or to work on making amends to your partner–if that is where you are in your journey. Your partnership is the foundation of your family and this is a good new moon to commit or re-commit to that partnership.

On the inverse though, if you are in a relationship that is not making you happy, this is a good time to consider if that partnership is healthy for you and for your family. This new moon energy will be strong for you and you may feel like things keep getting in your way right now, but it won’t last forever. Once you push through any difficulties you may be having right now with a significant other, you’ll be able to celebrate that success knowing that you were strong and that you didn’t give in to temptation, even when it came calling.

Aquarius:
The focus on this new moon is your health, job (not necessarily a career), and your every day life. How has your addiction affected your health? Are you doing everything you need to in your recovery journey to make sure you are healthy enough to spend quality time with your family? This is a good time to look at what you’re doing in your every day life in regards to your sobriety and make new goals or intentions to make improvements if needed.

Pisces:
The focus on this new moon is fun, dating, and children. This is a good new moon to take a look at where fun is fitting into your sobriety journey. How can you bring more laughter and joy into your life as you learn and grow as a person? Goals around strengthening the bond with your children–if you have them–especially if that connection was dimmed during the time you were using.

Edit: Forgot to put in that the new moon is exact on Monday at 10:31am Pacific Standard Time.

8 Likes

I’m a true beginner also. I would love to learn more. All I know is that I am Sagittarius :sagittarius: as for anything else about myself Idk lol

3 Likes

Oh wow, I haven’t seen this in a while! :slight_smile:

You might just be beginning but it sounds like you already know enough to be useful for yourself. :+1: Astrology is real enough. I’ve found that the people who don’t “believe” in astrology don’t know anything about it; and generally I don’t believe in the kind of astrology they don’t believe in either. :wink:

Wow that’s a lot of cardinal energy you have in your big three! Lots of “get up and go” to start things kind of energy.

@Butterflymoonwoman If you feel comfortable giving me your birth information through a private message, I can pull your chart. You will need an exact birth time to know your ascendant and where your houses are, as the degree changes every 4 minutes. If you don’t have an exact birthtime, that’s okay. You can still get some information from your chart. I need time of birth, date of birth, and place of birth. (I can’t find out any ‘personal’ information from this, in case you’re worried about that).

2 Likes

Sure!! I’ll send u a message now! Thank u soo much!!!

2 Likes

I had this grand idea that I would do a new “New Moon” reading for each month, but it kind of fell by the wayside. Maybe as things start calming down on my end I’ll try to pick it up again.

I’d have to look at your chart to have a better idea of what it meant for you. Many people have Chiron in the same sign over the course of a number of years, so that’s the base level you work off for the generation; however, after that, you look at what house it’s in and what connections it makes to other planets and angles in your chart, then see how that works in with the rest of your chart. At that point, you get a pretty good idea of what it means for you.

You are also welcome to send me your birth information through a private message and I can run your chart–though it seems like you already have it. I can at least take a look and see what you’re working with. Only if you feel comfortable with it.

2 Likes

Very nice. :blush:. I will take a glance a little later today after I take care of some things.

If you are willing to send me your birth info, though, that will be highly useful so i can see what degrees the planets are at, what orb each of the aspects are at as well as if they are seperating/applying, if any planets are retrograde, and also I’d like to look at your declinations.

If you don’t feel comfortable with that, I can use this chart. :+1:

2 Likes

Okay so this took way too long to get back to because I had a number of unexpected WTFs come up; however, I’ve taken a look at your chart (thank you for giving me your birth info) and if we go back to the comments about Chiron in your chart, first of all we look at the sign, which is going to be generational. Everyone in your generation is likely to have Taurean wounds such as body issues and feeling financially stable in life so that one feels truly comfortable (among other things).

Now, for you in particular, you have Chiron in your 11th house of hopes, dreams, and wishes. This is where your pain is felt very keenly. It’s important to remember that the 11th house also has to do with groups, such as friend groups, coworker groups, etc. Perhaps you have had a difficult time feeling accepted by your peer groups, or maybe you have had dreams that have constantly been poo-pooed on.

Another layer is to look at is the connection between that Chiron and the Venus/North Node conjunction and the Mars/Uranus conjunction. I’ve outlined the square and opposition lines in the chart below.

There we start to see a theme building up on top of what we just talked about. That T square, where Venus is the outlet for the energy, might show us that relationships have/are a painful thing. Of course, this could add in romantic relationships, but the realms of groups and friends might be a place where some deep hurts exist.

If you were my client I would be asking you quite a few questions so that I could be the most helpful to you, but in just making some comments about what I see, I’m wondering if perhaps you had something of a deep and serious nature about you, even as a child. Or maybe you had an attraction to the deeper/hidden realms. Maybe you just didn’t feel seen for who you were, and boy would I say that you definitely wish to be seen, to be acknowledged for who you are and what you bring to the table, so to speak.

So it’s really that wounding that you need to address when it comes to your specific Chiron placement.

1 Like

Alright so that is the basics of your chart. It is set for noon because you don’t have a birth time to give me. That means that we can’t see what your ascendant is or know anything about your houses. There are 360 degrees in a circle. There are 12 signs in the Zodiac and each sign gets 30 degrees. Now, the ascendant and house positions change 1 degree every 4 minutes. This is part of why each person’s chart is unique.

What I can look at is what signs your planets are in and how they relate to each other. You are lucky in that, at noon the day you were born, the moon is right in the middle of Aries practically, so we know for sure that you have an Aries moon.

Without taking a deep dive into your chart and having a conversation where I can ask you questions to be able to get a better idea of how this energy is manifesting in your life (which I would do if you were my client), I can say that you have an adventurous spirit and there is a need to forge your own path. You need to be your own person and do not like anyone telling you what to do.

You’ve likely got a lot of creativity within you. Perhaps, in a way, you feel like you can communicate out into the world through your creativity rather than with words. You likely have a deep imagination, which can come back to bite you if you are unable to see people for who they are rather than what you might want them to be. Being able to discern truth from lies is important. It’s possible that there have been times in your life where you really struggled to figure out what was real and what was an illusion or just your imagination.

You likely empethize deeply with others when you talk with them. You are likely much more sensitive than you prefer to show the world. You likely really enjoy socializing with people. There is something about 2006-ish (give our take on the year) that found you changing the way you related to the world and how you communicated with others.

You might have found in your life that what you need to be happy, healthy, and fulfilled in life seems to be at odds with things that you want and desire. It’s possible that you might have had difficulty in sticking to goals you’ve laid out for yourself in all kinds of things. Self-discipline is something that may require a lot of hard work to cultivate. If you have struggled in this area, know that this isn’t a character flaw, but rather a challenge for you to learn and grow from.

So there you are, a few thoughts from looking at your chart. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you’re ever able to find your birth time it will really be useful for you in getting more information out of your chart.

1 Like

Soooo honestly i would have to say that this is quite accurate (especially since not having a time for my birth).

• I am very adventurous and very independent (I would even go along to say that I am TOO independent… to the point where asking for help is hard. I used to rather suffer than ask for help). This has changed of course over time but I used to do everything on my own.
  • The creative part is what gets me. I have family who are very artsy and creative. I’ve never thot about myself being creative and expressing myself to the world thru a creative outlet. BUT… at the same time, I have never given myself a chance to look into this. Drugs have kept me so closed minded to anything of thay nature. U actually reminded me of something that I did many years ago… I’ll make a post about it in a sec :slight_smile:
  • Empathize with others? Absolutely. I have been working in the helping field for 13 years as a career. And prior to that I would absolutely empathize with others, the “underdogs” especially. Sometimes this has been a bad thing for me, especially when it came to my abusive relationships. I would care too and empathize too much with my exs situation which led me to stay much longer than I should have I feel.
  • Now what’s super interesting about ur post, is that around 2006 I was 16 years old, when my drugs addiction was in full force and ended up in a youth treatment program. At 15 yrs old my mental health got really bad :frowning: my mom told me I shut down from the world. So how I related to the world and hiw I communicated eith others chabged dramatically around that time.
  • I do tend to have difficulty sticking to goals, weather it be weight loss or saving money or staying clean. The things I wnar and desire are not often things that are necessarily healthy for me. That’s changed alot but in the past (and most of my life), obtaiming fast and quick money or looking good or wanting immediate release from pain, are all things that aren’t good for me. The things that are healthy for me take time and take work.
  • I looked up the Aries moon info too. Which I can also relate too.

I feel like I wish I had known this many many years ago. Maybe it would’ve prevented alot of things from happening (or maybe not). I probably wouldn’t have understood it like I do now tho. This is incredible info tho and I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I’m glad you found it to be accurate. I have to admit, it was 4am when I did it and there is always a fear that I’ll write something incoherent when I’m tired. :laughing:

Your progressed Mercury went retrograde just a couple years after you were born, so you lived your life up until November of 2005 with that energy. Then it went direct in your progressed chart, conjunct Uranus, and the intensity of that probably knocked you off your ass in a subconscious way.

I normally would not get into a lot of this type of thing outside of a full paid reading (I know a few astrologers who are strict about not giving free readings, or even willing to take a look without being paid), but it stood out to me. This is going to be a super super quick and dirty summary of my thoughts because I’m actually supposed to be getting ready to leave. :laughing:

It’s really interesting that you talk about 2006 and your issue with drugs. Your Mercury starts out conjunct Neptune (which rules drugs, btw, among other things) and your sun (ego) is conjunct Uranus (which brings a lot of sudden happenings). Now, you can see that when Mercury went retrograde, it was exactly conjunct Neptune by degree.

When it goes direct, the sun is conjunct Neptune, and Mercury is exactly conjunct Uranus. So they switch. Your ego is plunging into this world of drugs and disassociating with the world as your views of the world and how you relate to the world begins to externalize, and in an unexpected and probably chaotic (Uranus) way.

In a few years, Mercury will reach that natal position and you will finally be able to move into new territory. As an aside, I think it’s relevant that your progressed sun has recently conjuncted Saturn and that currently your Mercury is conjuncting Pluto. I won’t go into that, but it likely says something about what is happening in your life right now.

Lastly, your natal Chiron is in Gemini. Gemini is ruled by Mercury. For you, personally, Mercury plays a fundamental role in a major wounding in your life. This often is a wound that you work on all your life, that maybe never actually fully heals, but within you are able to teach and work with others. It would be good to know the house that Chiron is in for more information, because then we would know where this pain is operating in your life, but there is likely a connection with that progressed Mercury.

Just some random thoughts of mine as I look at the information. It’s interesting, but I hope that maybe some of this will be useful in some way.

2 Likes

Wow!!! This is all new territory for me. I find it so fascinating!! I want to thank u so much for taking the time to look into this for me. I am super curious what exactly about Mercury and this wound that I’ve been struggling with? But u said u need to know the House that Chiron is in? How can I figure that out? Would I need to try and find my birthtime? Idk. This is incredible! I’ve always been fascinated on this but never really understood it. And it sort of creeps me out how accurate it is. Omg. I really appreciate you and for doing that and giving me guidance with where I am in life. I am also super interested in mercury reaching the natak position and me heading into a new territory finally. I wonder what that means? Hopefully good! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You do need to know your exact birth time to know what house Chiron is in. The houses in a natal birth chart are determined by the time of birth (and less well known, the place of birth). If the birth certificate you have doesn’t list the time, I believe you can request a more detailed birth certificate via a government records office. Because you life in Canada, I am not sure how you would go about that.

Astrology is such a wonderful guidance tool and I think would benefit everyone to have some sessions with an astrologer (or a few different ones) whose focus of study is in the area the person needs consulting with. If it’s impossible for you to get a birth time, there are some astrologers who specialize in “Chart Rectification”. This means they work with you to figure out how events in your life line up to certain progressions and transits and can give you a closely accurate chart.

You may find it very beneficial to start studying astrology for yourself and to understand your own astrology information. Luckily, the internet is full of great information for someone just beginning.

Best of luck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in here lol. I’m a Pisces Sun, Pisces Rising and Cancer Moon :flushed:

Now I see why you’re such a sweetheart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New moon is also the day I have a haircut :sunglasses:.
I started my sobriety on this moon Cycle too and I find your post very interesting.

1 Like