New Start šŸ¤Æ

Wow, this is hard and scary to type. I canā€™t remember the last day that I didnā€™t drink excessively. I saw this app and for the last 5 mornings have been scared/too anxious to post anything and instead turned back to ending another day feeling comfortably numb. It feels such an enormous decision to get out out of my comfort zone and not drink but Iā€™m giving it my best go today. Went to the kitchen, heated up some chicken soup and have a glass of water by my side. Struggling to consume either of them if Iā€™m being honest, feel like crying and trying to go back to sleep instead.

26 Likes

Cry if you need to it will get betteršŸ¤—

8 Likes

Welcome and well done on making the best decision you will ever make. Itā€™s not going to be pretty at first and all you will think about is drinking and how life is boring and why canā€™t I have one but you are not alone now so keep talking to people on here and tell them how you are feeling. Never imagine a life with no more drinking bc itā€™s impossible right now, the only thing we donā€™t do is drink today. Cry, sleep, walk, long baths, read recovery books, watch recovery videos, talk, pray for strength for one day even if youā€™ve never prayed, even if you donā€™t believe in anything pray for yourself to stay sober. Anytime you want a chat message me or anyone. Proud of you :+1:

10 Likes

IM SO PROUD! whats scary is where are drinking takes us. Im sorry your feeling physically ill I hope that passes soon. Mentally just stay on board. Keep reading, keep checking in and let us know how your feeling. I can say with confidence i think weā€™ve all been there. Its not an easy task, but weā€™re ultimately talking about saving our lives. @Lost_wanderer8888 is right, it will get better. Surround yourself with support. Im always behind ya. Just rest and take it easy on yourself today. Were always here 4 u.

9 Likes

Welcome, glad you found the courage to post. The first week or so is always rough, just remember it will get easier as time goes by. Water,water and more water. Rest and yes do cry. You gotta get those emotions out somehow, better to cry it out than to drink your emotions away. Find yourself a meeting and go there with an open mind, I tried AA the first time I sobered up and didnā€™t have an open mind, well I ended up drinking for a few years until the court system got involved into my life too much. This time , I started with an open mind and it just got easier. If you ever need to vent shoot me a message if you canā€™t find anyone else to talk to. Better to talk it out than to drink over it. Take care of you.

6 Likes

Congrats on picking up the courage to post Stephen. And even more congrats on the courage to become sober today. Welcome to your sobriety and welcome to this place which is a great place for support. Those first days Iā€™d say do whatever you feel like as long as you donā€™t go for that drink. Cry, scream, sleep, punch a pillow, whatever. And be here with us all. Together we can do this. Together weā€™re giving ourselves the best chance to make it. Welcome again and all success friend.

5 Likes

Welcome Stephen! Itā€™s nice to meet you. Youā€™re with friends here - you belong :innocent:

The early days are a big change. Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time. Keep reading here, keep yourself occupied. Join a meeting:
Online meeting resources

Thereā€™s so many meetings you can usually find one any time of day. Do whatever you need to do to stay sober. Itā€™s ok to attend more than one meeting :innocent:

And more than anything else, remember: this is your life, your choice, and you deserve a safe, sober life. Never give up. Never stop trying. Youā€™re a good person and you deserve to respect yourself.

3 Likes

Welcome @Ste213 go easy with yourself my friend, cry if you want toā€¦ sleep was my saviour in the early days. Stay hydrated, donā€™t worry about the food, your appetite will come back soon enough. Iā€™m so glad you got the courage to post! Youā€™re are amongst people who have been where you areā€¦ we are here if you need us, just donā€™t drink today! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. You can do this!! One day at a time, I promise you can make it happen. It isnā€™t as scary as it seems at first.

Also thereā€™s a ton of great people and great advice here to help you along the way :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi everyone , I canā€™t thank you all enough for your kind words of support and encouragement. Iā€™ve spent most of the day in bed, neglecting all but my essential responsibilities and re-reading every word you each took the time to write whenever I needed some support. Most importantly Iā€™ve only drank water and itā€™s now nearly 6pm here. I wanted to reply to each of you individually to send my heartfelt thanks but Iā€™m struggling to write this one message in my current condition. Thanks again, so much.

12 Likes

You are not alone! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m so glad you responded to give us an update! Super proud of your determination today. Youā€™re doing this! It is going to take some time, but I promise, before you know it the clouds will part and the sun will start shining down on you. You will see more clearly and most importantly you will feel SO much better. Stay with us and donā€™t be afraid to reach out anytime. This is an international community and itā€™s almost guaranteed there will be someone to respond. Welcome and I look forward to hearing from you again!

2 Likes

Itā€™s ok to cryā€¦be in the moment, and know your not alone. We have all felt what you feel in this very moment and we all know that tomorrow youā€™ll feel better, and ever better the day after.

You got thisā€¦until then just rest. Tomorrow is a new day!

1 Like

Get rested, everything else will waitā€¦look after yourself my friend! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Great post! You will hopefully have woken up with that strange feeling ā€¦ I think they call it ā€œfreshā€ and ā€œclear headedā€!! Get used to it. Keep coming back and keep being honest. You can see how much this community can offer support. Weā€™re all in this together :wink:

1 Like

Welcome! You have no idea what a fantastic choice youā€™re making.

Donā€™t beat yourself up over feeling timid about posting. It takes an incredible amount of courage to post, and it takes even more courage to come back and read what others responded with.

But then, when you do, you see everyone is welcoming you and telling you that youā€™re not alone. The strength that you think you have, you do have. Itā€™s in there, and youā€™re already showing it. Thereā€™s strength in withdrawal, talking, feeling, and even crying. Let it all become of you. You will love each day just a little bit more. It starts out slow and then rockets off.

My most sincere advice: if it feels like your body and mind are punishing you the first few days, that is normal. Push through it. Eventually the two will be thanking you for the changes youā€™ve made. I promise.

Hang in there. Weā€™re all rooting for you :sunny:

1 Like

I will never forget that feeling of apprehension before my first ever post. It wasnā€™t actually on here, it was on another forum, but of course, the feelings were all the same. I was watching my son play rugby and feeling like all of the other parents knew what I was doing. It also felt big because it felt like I was finally admitting to myself the magnitude of my problem around alcohol.
It was the best thing I ever did in seeking sobriety. It makes a huge difference to know that you are not alone and to have a place where you can share without being judged.
Keep coming back. It really helps.

1 Like