New to sobriety and I'm not feeling so great

I’m 10 days sober from alcohol and 4 days from Marijuana. I have head aches every night. My body hurts and my hands are shaking all the time. Its hard to fall asleep unless I have some tea (my newest discovery) I attended my first AA meeting today and I broke down and cried after I left. This is all so overwhelming and I feel terrible but I also no that soon enough I will feel great. Right now its still hard but I’m fighting the urge harder than I ever have before. Any tips would be helpful or just some words of encouragement. I want to be as strong and brave as the rest of you. Much love♡

20 Likes

Welcome! You’ve picked a really great place to join for support and information - this forum is what helped me get and stay sober after more relapses than I can count. You’re absolutely right, you will feel better soon. Keep treating yourself kindly, eat nutritious food and keep that tea going! I spent much of my early days on here reading as much as I possibly could and that helped me to feel less alone, knowing that other people were going through or had gone through what I did. If you don’t know already, you can search for topics or information using the magnifying glass at the top of the page, and of course keep reaching out if you ever need some encouragement. Just posting this topic shows you’re brave by being vulnerable and reaching out. I’m glad you’re here. I look forward to seeing you around, Raquel.

6 Likes

Oh, also, check out this thread!

5 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

Welcome, Raquel and congrats on 10 days. I’m sorry you aren’t feeling so great. You should be feeling better soon. A lot of anxiety can come with being sober which may account for some of the symptoms. Don’t put off seeing a doctor if you continue feeling shaky. Sleeping well may take some time. I like meditation apps and sleep meditations if I am struggling. So glad you are here.

2 Likes

Hey there,

Wow. You sound just like I did in my first couple of weeks. I had the shakes, was headachy, sweaty, nauseous, and I was an emotional wreck. Tearful, scared, confused…you name it.

I am so glad you found an AA meeting. My experience has been that connection with other soberpeople is a huge, huge part of recovery. The support I have received from people here and from people in my recovery program is why I am sober today.

Tips? Write yourself a letter, telling all the reasons you want/need to get sober. Talk about the problems drinking has caused in your life. Keep it - and reread it on days when you feel tempted to drink. Someone suggested this to me, and it saved me a couple of times in the early months. I still keep it in my purse.

Also -be really good to yourself right now. Multivitamin, lots of rest, Emergen-C if you have it. Your body has been through a lot. You may have sugar cravings. Don’t hesitate to indulge them for a while.

Above all - take it one day at a time. Promise yourself that you won’t drink today - no matter what - and reach out to someone if you feel like you might. We have all been there - and we are here to support you.

5 Likes

Raquel, congrats on 10 days of freedom! I know the journey can feel overwhelming and mind numbingly difficult some days, but your doing it…you are brave, and so strong…stronger than you know. Your ten days will be 10 weeks before you know it…just keep pushing. Don’t give up on you…you can do this!

:blush::raised_hands:t2::sun_with_face::ocean:

1 Like

Welcome and Congratulations on your 10 days Raquel. Sorry your struggling with pain and can’t sleep.
My first few months I did a lot of angry power walks sometimes twice a day. And some angry house cleaning. I was pretty angry because I can’t drink like a normie. Wore me out.
I took 2 showers a day. My usual one in the morning and another one at wine o’clock or happy hour time. Long long really hot relaxing showers. Then lots and lots of sparkling water in my wine glass. Those relaxing showers late in the afternoon confused my mind and body and felt so so good. And also discovered my love of all types of green teas. It does get easier. Keep checking in. Having a good cry like you did is awesome. Get use to that. I’m still crying because I’m dealing with a lot of emotions that I numbed by drinking.
One day at a time. Your worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:
Have you tried any guided meditations. I use the Breethe App. They are so good and lots of choices. Even sleep ones.

4 Likes

Welcome! It’s great that you joined here. When I was at that time I had a lot of the symptoms you are having. Just know they will go away in time, and you will begin to feel so much better! Some things that help me along especially for sleep were eating better, taking relaxing hot baths and stretching before bed. I also took melatonin to help sleep. And daily exercise for sure. Hope you are feeling better soon. See ya around!

Bye for now…

2 Likes

Another great thread to pass the time and fill you full of positivity is Resources for our recovery.

This has lots of ideas on how to get and stay sober, and advice and tips too! I’m happy to see your here and I commend you on your clean and sober day count! You have a sobriety date - guard it with your life!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll look into this app

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

A letter to myself sounds great. Thank you!

1 Like

There’s a few regulars that like to start or end our day, or both, with our gratitude list. I find this to be one of my strongest tools in sobriety. I start my day, everyday, writing my list here. Check it out if you’re interested. We got a lot to be grateful for when we’re sober. I’m sure we have room for another Gratidude :blush:
Some people just like reading it. Join in if your up for it.

1 Like

This is a great idea! Thank you

1 Like

You can do it! Keep holding onto the idea that you will feel better soon. There is also a daily check in thread that many people use to keep themselves accountable. Crying is good, it releases feeling and is a good sign!

3 Likes

Welcome Raquel, it’s good to see you & it’s wonderful to meet you. This is a hard time I know but you will get through it. I know you feel weak now; it will pass, and like the caterpillar becoming a butterfly you will transform and become a new and better you. You’ve taken the first steps now and you will get there.

Take it one day at a time, keep up your recovery work and never, ever give up. You’re a good person who deserves love and respect - and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

Keep checking in with us here. Take care & be gentle to yourself: lots of baths, herbal tea, water. You deserve it! :innocent:

2 Likes

I will keep an eye out for this in the mornings. Id love somewhere i can check in♡

1 Like

You’re right. I do deserve it. I plan on checking in often. I’ve only had the app today and I’ve received so many kind words. Thank you

4 Likes

1 Like