New to Sobriety.. any suggestions?

Hello everyone I’m Matt I’m new to sobriety so this is definitely a huge change for me. Trying to meet people who are like-minded and trying to stay sober. I’m almost 2 weeks and no alcohol or anything. I have surrounded myself with sober friends we go to the gym a lot and meetings. Any other suggestions would be appreciated :relaxed:

13 Likes

You are doing a lot right! Sober friends and community is a must for me. Also, I’m on TS everyday. Read a lot of quit lit and sobriety podcasts in the earlier days. I walk a lot with a good friend when weather allows. Congrats on getting connected and jumping into meetings. Your chances of staying sober and having fun doing it have immensely improved.

2 Likes

Hello, welcome. At 2 weeks with sober friends and going to meetings you are off to a good start.

This is a thread with resources
Welcome to the forum! 2022

A daily check-in thread
Checking in daily to maintain focus #38

And a gratitude thread
Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery

Hope to see more of you.

7 Likes

Lots of water, rest and stick on here will help. I work a lot too so I understand the challenge that makes for making healthy choices and making meetings. Do the best you can and be patient with yourself.
My Dr. recommended taking a B12 vitamin complex supplement as alcohol depletes this from our bodies. I found it very helpful in my recovery.

3 Likes

Thats good stick with the winners, in my early days in sobriety me and the guys in my home group used to pile in the car and go to meetings we hadnt been to before give them support and we had a great time get fish and chips or a curry on the way back ,miss those days all my guys from then are gone now but not forgotten . your journey begins Matt be safe but be happy wish you well

3 Likes

Thank you for your response Ray

1 Like

If your diet permits you to eat eggs, eat a lot of eggs. Your brain will thank you. Definitely get the rest and the water, and it’s okay to “overdo” that when you’re first getting sober, as your body will realize it has some healing to do, and it will definitely need that.

My main thing is staying busy. After I wake up, I make sure I have a lot of things to do…and if I don’t, I read, I write, I draw, I work on my music, all sorts of things.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the advice

Hi I am new on here never ever reached out online but can’t do it on my own, don’t like AA meetings! The longest period of sobriety I’ve had was my first pregnancy 18 years ago I drank a bit my subsequent 2 pregnancies then managed 5 months sobriety just before lockdown! The pressures of lockdown a teenager and 2 toddlers meant I was drinking too regularly again! I need support and any help will be greatly received :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Mik, I’m glad you’re here!

1 Like

Welcome Matt.
Congratulations on your 2 weeks.
My strongest tool is gratitude. Without gratitude I wouldn’t survive. I see Flo
@Misokatsu Already gave you the link to the gratitude thread.
2 years and 5 weeks later and I have not missed a day on there. If I’m drinking? I got nothing to be grateful for.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Welcome @Butterbean! I liked butterbean as a boxer! I am so glad that you see that it can’t be done on your own. Took me 11 years to figure that out and a lot of damage to my body. So your on the right track. AA meetings can be dry at times and difficult with kids but there is a 24 hour a day zoom AA meeting if you are ever interested. I don’t go everyday but I will hop on if I need some motivation. Seeing people who have done dumb things as I have while drinking and to see where they are now motivates me personally but AA is not for everyone that is for sure. Having a group of people like on this site you can get on and just talk to is amazing!! You have a group of recovering addicts and alcoholics that have probably been in some situation you have been in or are in. So stick around don’t be afraid to give a holler even if you just want to vent!

Wow thanks a bunch for reaching out and replying so quickly I will keep reading, I think I need to feel accountable and im not getting that as not apart of anything so here’s to hoping being on here does that! Thanks again Chris

1 Like

You have the perfect mindset! You know that you can’t do it yourself. And you know you need to be held accountable. I absolutely had to have the accountability. I have a group chat with fellow alcoholics where we talk everyday and weekends we zoom. Few in California one in Texas and me in NY and that alone helps me through my days.

Respect to you :raised_hands:

Welcome Mik :blue_heart:

1 Like

im a AA guy and if your not going to go to meetings and dont like zoom i dont have the answer , you make time for drinking maybe make time for meetings ? wish you well

2 Likes