New to sobriety - navigating work events

Hi all,

I am new to sobriety - 21 days so far.

My role at work is very social. I head up a corporate partnerships/commercial role and support about 180 partners. The problem is that there is always a partner event and alcohol. A drink calms the nerves meeting new people, but my problem is that once I start, I find it hard to stop. I have read lots of advice to stay away from nights out when starting a sobriety journey, but unfortunately I can’t avoid them. So, any advice navigating events sober would be helpful.

1 Like

Hey there and welcome! I’ve had to navigate lots of work functions with clients before. Grab your favorite drink, Diet Coke, whatever and just do the deal. I love seltzer with cranberry. You may have some initial anxiety, but once you get to mingling, that should dissipate. If not, get out of the situation as soon as you can. It’s just work. It gets easier over time.

4 Likes

Just wanted to say welcome!

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that type of work so I don’t have any useful advice but I’m sure others will help out here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Claire!

1 Like

Definitely make yourself a physical tool kit with things that can help in that environment. I also recommend reading quit lit. There are quite a few out there about people in just these types of jobs. In reality most industries have alcohol-heavy events after hours. It does offer a particularly difficult challenge when it is expected as part of the client experience.

**I have no connection to this page:

1 Like