New to the family

I’m new here, 40 days clean and sober, I battle with anxiety, overthinking , my head doesn’t stop. The brain just goes and goes and goes so I drank and used drugs to drowned out the sound. I’m 40 days clean and silver and going strong. Tonight is rough but I know I got this. We all got this

18 Likes

Welcome Trisha. You found a great clean and sober community here. Congratulations on your 40 days. That’s awesome! You’re awesome!
:pray:t2::heart::hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you much🙂

2 Likes

Wish I saw this sooner. Hope you are doing well. Anxiety and overthinking…I can relate!!! That’s also one of my triggers for drinking for sure. I’m 5 days clean and feeling super excited to keep going. Lots of mixed emotions lately, but being here on this site has gotten me through. Read as much as you can and don’t be afraid to post anytime. It’s all so helpful.

3 Likes

Thank you, day 5 that’s amazing keep it up, you got this. I battle with anxiety overthinking depression I’m an empath. It’s hard being an alcoholic and addict but today I clean and sober and I love it.

3 Likes

Here’s a great book I found really helpful. Not sure if you’ve heard of it or read it…

5 Likes

No I haven’t, I will see if I can find it. Thank you

1 Like

It’s really good. I ordered it off of Amazon. There’s a lot of other books out there but I found this one helpful.

1 Like

Hi Trisha :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome and congratulations on your 41 days. I’m happy you’re here. :purple_heart: Being an empath is a struggle, and the book that Miranda suggested is a good one. I have all of Judith Orloff’s books, and they’ve helped me tremendously. Reading her words was the first time I ever realized I wasn’t alone. It was like a huge sigh of relief.

Here’s something for you to check out… I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi Trish, welcome! I also battle overthinking. My brain is like a race car that’s always like “go to go!” and I spend so many days trying to catch up with it, to have a handle on it. For a long time I used my addiction to numb it. As I’ve worked my sobriety I’ve found that there’s a legitimate cause - in my case, ADHD (just as present in adult people, including men and women, as it is in children; in women, it is greatly under diagnosed, because of social expectations about girls and women and how these don’t line up with stereotypes about ADHD behaviours) - and as I’ve learned about myself and my mind, I’ve found healthier ways to handle it. I use CBT techniques and EMDR stuff (I learned them from my counsellor).

Whatever it is that’s behind your mind, starting at it sober will help. There’s a good community here and lots of knowledgeable people (and useful threads like this, with books, podcasts, groups: Resources for our recovery) - you’re in the right space to learn :innocent:

Take care and never give up. You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self, not hidden behind booze, but instead walking your path, steady.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone one♥️