New to this and in need of advice

Today went pretty well, a little anxious and in my thoughts but overall good! I was actually in a pretty bad car accident on Sunday so I am still recovering. Since then my days have consisted of sleeping resting and taking it easy.

1 Like

How was everyone else’s?

1 Like

Good to hear you’re making it through. That’s a rough event to be in especially when you’re going through a sobriety kick. The way I’d approach that would be to accept that my Higher Power is challenging me to see if I have the will to not pick up.
I fully understand the sleeping thing! When I first started getting sober, I had nasty DTB pains and suffered daily for about 72 hours. After they subsided, I started to see a psychiatrist and she helped me get back on track mentally… the funny thing to me was how MUCH rest my body and mind needed to defragment all the chaos that had been going on in my head for the last 20 years. So, I slept A LOT! Dranks heaps of water and downed all the vitamins, fruits, veggies and meats I could. After about a month, I really started to feel like a human again, although I was still a mess as far as who I was. That’s when keeping to AA schedule started to help me get back on track…
I don’t mean to ramble but this happened to work for me, and maybe it will have the same effects for you!
Today was awesome! I worked in a vineyard for a six hours, read a book for a while, played some video games and just finished a zoom meeting. Life is good. I’m good. I pray you find the serenity, I have been blessed with.
HUGS

2 Likes

You ready to take on day four?!

1 Like

I sure am lol the only thing I think I’ll struggle with is after a very stressful day, socially, or for events. I know those are what I’ll have to really watch out for. I think a therapist might be a good idea or at least talking to my doctor about starting medication. I like to read as well so I think I’ll pick back up on that as well or start a new show. I have 2 children but I offered to split the time with their father so we do a week on and a week off. So when they come home tomorrow I will be pretty busy/occupied spending time with them :blush:. I am interested in these online zoom meetings for AA. Does this cost? I have never gone to a meeting so I am in the dark here.

3 Likes

Boom! :boom::boom:

Congrats and welcome. A therapist really helped me with all the feelings that come up. You can get through it…take it easy…

1 Like

zoom is completely free. The entire AA program survives on donations. We need you more than we need your money…
If you’re in the US you can check city AA or county AA webpages and they typically have a spreadsheet online of all meetings with times and codes to join in. All you need is a phone but a camera and mic helps me be more involved and again, we love seeing new people in any meeting. Don’t be shy. We’re all here to help one another.
Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Yes I am in the US. Thank you for the info. Maybe I can do one this weekend! Not sure if they have late meetings but I’m hoping they do.

1 Like

Hello and I actually just downloaded the app “intherooms” and if you aren’t ready to go in person their are some AA meetings in the app you can attend. Hope this helps :heart:

2 Likes

I actually downloaded that as well I havent gotten the hang of that one quite yet but I’ll go back on and check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Howdy! How are you today??

1 Like

Have you drank any water today? Your body will thank you for it, you got this. But really, how are you feeling today?

2 Likes

Today I feel okay I’ve been busy but also have been trying to take it easy. I cant wait to go to bed tonight. My younger brother actually will be staying with me for a few months. He said hey I dont want to bring bad influences around but I’m going put this (a bottle of champagne) in the fridge. I looked at him and for a split second my mind was like hey 1 drinks ok but I replied it’s ok I’m done drinking anyways. He didnt offer it but I also know if I asked he would share when he does decide to drink it.

2 Likes

Good girl; it’s baby steps! Stick with us and you’ll be leading the pack soon, you have more strength than you know hun.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Also I did drink water along with this aloe vera drink which was actually pretty good. I have been slacking but I try to drink a gallon of water a day.

1 Like

Your liver is loving you right now.

1 Like

There are meetings 24/7, whenever you need one. AA intergroup directory This link includes online meetings around the clock!

Another fabulous thread on here is Resources for our recovery - this has been updated off and on, but the basic info is rich and relevant!

Blessings on your house as you begin your journey :pray:

1 Like

Checking in time! How’s your weekend so far?!

I had recently responded to someone’s ‘how did you do it?’ question in regards to staying sober for 2 years. I couldn’t figure out how to link it in here so I just copied and pasted. These are the things I did that helped me, there is no specific recipe for success. But maybe something in there will help you or someone else.

How did you do it?

I’ve thought for countless hours on how I would answer the very question you asked. It is a very difficult question since alcoholism is so intertwined in every single aspect of your life. There by no means is a recipe that works for everyone-- but I would say these were the most impactful things I did in early recovery (in no particular order).

1. Post a question or answer on here every day and watch that sobriety counter increase. If you relapse just tell us about it on here and pick yourself back up.

2. Read the book ‘Alcohol Lied to Me’ by Craig Beck. Order the supplements described in the book asap, your body needs specific things to help recover from the abuse.

3. Go to therapy. Pay whatever it is. If you can’t afford it–yes you can. They all (in Wisconsin) have interest free payment plans. Invest in yourself. Love yourself. Go talk to someone. I talked to someone once a week for the first 6 months of sobriety. Through relapses and more self destruction before I got better.

I’ve noticed alcoholism is very much coupled with some negative life event that has yet to be ‘processed’ or ‘dealt-with’. For me it was getting kicked out of the military and being cheated on more than once, among other things. These are relapse time bombs. Not to mention how much better the quality of life is after going through the bullshit. Difficult days/weeks ahead, some things obviously we don’t want to talk about. But I’m telling you it’s worth it 100%. Once the drinking stops, how you feel about some of those past life events may be completely unresolved and your sober mind can’t anesthetize itself anymore. Talk to a professional

1. Read the book ‘extreme ownership’ by Jocko Willink. Attack life’s problems with offense and accepting responsibility for everything you have influence over.

2. Talk to your doctor about a prescription medication called ‘Acomprosate’ it’s FDA approved to treat addiction and it (or something) diminished my alcohol cravings significantly once I started taking that. I stopped taking it after 6 months of sobriety. But everyone is different. Some take it forever.

3. Make a genuine effort to stop telling lies, any lies to anyone for the rest of your life. lies are a skilled craft alcoholics have aquired out of necessity. Stop lying. To help hold yourself accountable, download a nightly inventory app.

I hope that helps. That’s the best I got as of now. Keep it up

2 Likes