New to this and in need of advice

I am new here and have recently admitted to myself that I cannot control my drinking. I am 2 full days sober currently. I’ve read that acceptance is the first step but I dont know where to go from here… I have had my ups and downs with alcohol since I was 17. I have always used alcohol as a way to escape, have a good time socially or alone, to relax and even other times just to kill my boredom and so on. For the past 6months I have been struggling with keeping a grasp on everything due to my anxiety and depression which I failed to accept was going on. I honestly feel like I’ve hit rock bottom and that I have no one to turn to that can relate or that I can vent or seek advice from without judgment. If anyone has any advice or any output it would be much appreciated…

17 Likes

Hello and welcome! We are glad you are here and willing to make efforts towards a better life.
TWO FULL DAYS!! You are rockin’ it, friend! I’m so proud of you =) I remember my first two days like they were yesterday… man, those were tough. I’m sweating just thinking about it but that could also be the heat. Anyway… The first suggestion is the easiest to say, but the hardest to act on DON’T PICK UP unless it’s a phone to call someone to talk to about your feelings. This is where a sponsor comes into play. We’ll get back to that.
I would suggest trying some online zoom meetings. All meetings are open, there are no dues or fees only a desire to stop drinking. Sit back, listen to some people share and see if anything they say resonates with you. It sure did for me my first time and I’ve been going back ever since. This program worked for me. It can definitely work for you.
You have already admitted to step one in the Big Book “I am powerless of alcohol and my life has become unmanageable.” This is the foundation of sobriety for me and many other recovering alcoholics.
It’s funny you mentioned the word boredom because I heard in a meeting tonight that some people get bored in recovery… yo, let me tell you something, it is not boring in recovery hahaha I am constantly doing more things with people and for people which ties up my days. It might not be partying on the outside but on the inside, I’m celebrating all good deeds!
Pick up a new hobby. Knitting is quite common, drawing also, writing in a journal/diary, cooking, etc.
Join some of the thread on here and check in daily with us. We love seeing newcomers and love it even more when they keep coming back and let us know how they’re doing, whether good or bad =)
Keep going with your second day and I can’t wait to hear how day three goes! God bless.

6 Likes

Welcome. 2 days in is really good. Each day that you accumulate is one more day than you had before. This post might be good for you to check out. You’ll find a lot of people on this site/app who will be able to relate to some of your struggles. I hope that you use it as a resource, but also think about doing some meetings, whether online or in person. Another thing to keep in mind is that the days of drinking moderately are over. ‘Just one’ is one too many because it won’t just be one. Find something to do with your time. Start a cool new hobby. Once we’re able to gather in groups again, try to find some kind of thing you can attend that will be fun and allow you to meet new people. If you’re able to do it, I would suggest seeing someone for your depression and anxiety; whether that’s for someone to talk to or to get medication or both. Hang in there and know that while it might not be easy, it will be worth it. Just focus on one day at a time. You can do it.

4 Likes

Welcome Karissa, I’m glad you’re! :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

It took me a little bit of time to reply because I honestly broke down in tears when I got the first reply… It was such a relief to me and very comforting in a way. Thank you all for welcoming me, for your words of encouragement and for letting me know I’m not the only one just starting or restarting with recovering. It means so much to me!

7 Likes

Congrats on two days! I’m proud of you for recognizing that you have a problem, and that you want to fix it!

I can relate, as I’m sure many can, that I used alcohol to try to “help” my anxiety and depression. But honestly it does make it worse. The next day was just full of anxious thoughts about what I said or did… or else just feeling depressed. I’d also usually end my nights crying or in some type of mood when I drank… it certainly didn’t help.

For me when I started to get sober, I think telling people I’m not drinking anymore held me accountable. Also, seeing a therapist helped immensely… I highly recommend it. Trust me, I’m the most anxious awkward human, but it can help haha also I liked buying Non-alcoholic wine, so I could still have the taste I craved in the beginning. Perhaps you might want to switch who you hang out with, or what you do with those people.

Please stick around with this group! I think it’s a very non judgemental and positive space. We get how you feel and can hopefully help… even if it’s just to listen :heart: my inbox is always open!

2 Likes

Welcome! And congratulations on making the decision to become sober.
I’d recommend giving AA a try. It doesn’t work for everyone, but I personally love it (got my 30 day chip today!!!) You get to go into a room full of people who have been through it, or are going through it just like you are. It’s a super safe and supportive place to share your experiences without judgment. You’ll make new friends with like-minded goals, and find a sponsor who can help you work the steps.
You don’t have to do this alone if you don’t want to.

4 Likes

Hello my dear! I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are doing? How was your day?

1 Like

How are you going today? Welcome to the group!

1 Like

Today went pretty well, a little anxious and in my thoughts but overall good! I was actually in a pretty bad car accident on Sunday so I am still recovering. Since then my days have consisted of sleeping resting and taking it easy.

1 Like

How was everyone else’s?

1 Like

Good to hear you’re making it through. That’s a rough event to be in especially when you’re going through a sobriety kick. The way I’d approach that would be to accept that my Higher Power is challenging me to see if I have the will to not pick up.
I fully understand the sleeping thing! When I first started getting sober, I had nasty DTB pains and suffered daily for about 72 hours. After they subsided, I started to see a psychiatrist and she helped me get back on track mentally… the funny thing to me was how MUCH rest my body and mind needed to defragment all the chaos that had been going on in my head for the last 20 years. So, I slept A LOT! Dranks heaps of water and downed all the vitamins, fruits, veggies and meats I could. After about a month, I really started to feel like a human again, although I was still a mess as far as who I was. That’s when keeping to AA schedule started to help me get back on track…
I don’t mean to ramble but this happened to work for me, and maybe it will have the same effects for you!
Today was awesome! I worked in a vineyard for a six hours, read a book for a while, played some video games and just finished a zoom meeting. Life is good. I’m good. I pray you find the serenity, I have been blessed with.
HUGS

2 Likes

You ready to take on day four?!

1 Like

I sure am lol the only thing I think I’ll struggle with is after a very stressful day, socially, or for events. I know those are what I’ll have to really watch out for. I think a therapist might be a good idea or at least talking to my doctor about starting medication. I like to read as well so I think I’ll pick back up on that as well or start a new show. I have 2 children but I offered to split the time with their father so we do a week on and a week off. So when they come home tomorrow I will be pretty busy/occupied spending time with them :blush:. I am interested in these online zoom meetings for AA. Does this cost? I have never gone to a meeting so I am in the dark here.

3 Likes

Boom! :boom::boom:

Congrats and welcome. A therapist really helped me with all the feelings that come up. You can get through it…take it easy…

1 Like

zoom is completely free. The entire AA program survives on donations. We need you more than we need your money…
If you’re in the US you can check city AA or county AA webpages and they typically have a spreadsheet online of all meetings with times and codes to join in. All you need is a phone but a camera and mic helps me be more involved and again, we love seeing new people in any meeting. Don’t be shy. We’re all here to help one another.
Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Yes I am in the US. Thank you for the info. Maybe I can do one this weekend! Not sure if they have late meetings but I’m hoping they do.

1 Like

Hello and I actually just downloaded the app “intherooms” and if you aren’t ready to go in person their are some AA meetings in the app you can attend. Hope this helps :heart:

2 Likes

I actually downloaded that as well I havent gotten the hang of that one quite yet but I’ll go back on and check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like