New to this and looking for a good self help book

I am 4 days in and wanted to know if there is a good self help book. I’m looking at one that maybe focuses on the social, binge drinker. A guide to help change the mindset. Thank you so much in advance

6 Likes

I don’t know if it’s considered a “self help” book but my favourite book is Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol. Part memoir and part science.

5 Likes

Welcome! Glad you’ve joined our community, there definitely a lot of us who can relate to the binge/social drinker aspect, myself included. I really liked Quit Like a Woman by Holly Whitaker. She definitely lived and shares that aspect of social drinking and of how drinking controlled her life and how she escaped it. Here is a link to a whole thread on books you might want to look into.

Recommended Books

1 Like

Related to alcohol: “Alcohol lied to me” by Craig Beck

Related to building a life worth living: “12 Rules for Life” by Jordan Peterson. Rule #3 is my favorite and changed how I approach my recovery and my ability to forgive and love myself again.

Rule 3 is “treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping”. Basically if a person who you love deeply was afflicted with alcoholism and you were responsible for helping them get sober what would you tell them to do? Then do that thing for yourself.

Related to breaking bad habits and starting good ones: “the power of habit” and “atomic habits”.

3 Likes

Hi there,

I found This Naked Mind by Annie Grace to be a good book in terms of changing my mindset and helping me to view alcohol in different way.

6 Likes

I liked “A Girl Walks Out of a Bar” (can’t recall authors name) and I’m currently listening to “How to Quit like a Woman” by Holly Whitaker.
Don’t really know if they’re considered self help but both are relatable and informative.

2 Likes

I agree with this. This Naked Mind really helped to too.

4 Likes

Quit like a woman by holly Whitaker 🩷

3 Likes

We are the luckiest by Laura McKowen is awesome!!!

3 Likes

I liked Blackout by Sarah Hepola.

3 Likes

Allen Carrs’ easy way to stop drinking changed my mindset about drinking forever

3 Likes

Thank you so much the other one I read was so depressing

2 Likes

Lotta great ones. My number one has to be “Quit Like a Woman”, Holly Whitaker. It made it all click for me, helped me save my life. And, Allen Carr’s “Easy Way for Women to Quit Drinking”. Both totally helped me rework my mindset. One BIG gift Holly’s QLAW gave me was what felt like the “permission” to do this recovery thing My Way… to unapologetically find and do exactly anything and everything that works for Me on this painful, messy, beautiful journey… AND NOTHING that doesn’t. Maybe most important for me, recognition… realization :bulb: that the fact that what works for many, does not work for me, does not mean that something is wrong with me… does not mean that I don’t deserve this sober, happy life. You deserve it too, sweet friend! Throw everything at it, see what sticks. Hold tight to what works for you, let the rest fall by the wayside. You got this! We are right here with you. 👩🏻‍🤝‍👩🏼:heart::people_hugging:

1 Like