New to this. Any advice?

I decided to cut back/stop drinking. My drinking got really bad and I had a hige “wake up” moment that scared me. I was drinking all the time, since I’ve turned 21 (I’m 24 now) I’ve almost never gone more than a day without drinking as much as I can. I’m nearing the end of my first full sober day, and I didn’t realize how hard this was going to be. Does anyone have any advice on ignoring the cravings for a drink?

6 Likes

Hi, and welcome!

There’s lots around the forum to read, you can pick a title that interests you, or use the search function if you are looking for something specific. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, it’s a unique situation, or you just want some emotional support, feel free to make a thread (like you’ve done here) and tell us more about what’s up. You’re not alone!

This is a really popular one for people just starting out: Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

3 Likes

Hi, and welcome! I’m on day 9 and sure haven’t figured it out. If you do, let me know!
Think of it this way: if you walk 1 path for years on end…said path gets worn down and is easily navigated. You could probably walk it with your eyes closed you know it so well. That’s been the habit of drinking for you (and me).
Quitting is making a new path for yourself. Sitting and waiting for the path to create itself just isn’t gonna happen. You have to choose it. Walk it with purpose. Create new habits. You’ll run into thick brush, weird animals and likely trip a few times. Keep walking. Keep creating new habits. Keep moving forward. Eventually your new path will be worn, smooth and easily navigated, and the old one will be grown over, ugly and infested with spiders and snakes n shit.

Too many metaphors? I dunno…painting visual pictures for myself helps. Try painting a few of your own!

6 Likes

Keep busy.

3 Likes

I’m really enjoying this metaphor. It feels this way to me! Though the old path will still try to convince you that it’s a shortcut, don’t believe a word it says! It’s the snakes talking…

3 Likes

Many have said this before me, if your here most likely drinking is a problem. First and foremost you have to want to stop. All the reasons in the world wont keep you from reaching for a drink. There are going to be times of temptation, loneliness, confusion, anger, disappointment and a lot of other negatives…at first. Stay strong and battle thru those times. BTW these will mostly take place in the early days, weeks months maybe. If you’ve decided to push thru those feelings WILL be replaced by much more positive thoughts and feelings. If you want it, you’ll make it. Also reach out to others either thru AA or other groups of like minded peeps. This community is a great start and maybe it will be enough, if not reach out to others who share the journey. Remember that you CAN do this if you WANT to succeed. Stay strong, stay the course…good luck to you…

5 Likes

Exactly! My lifelong hatred of snakes makes perfect sense now…

Day 18 over here in England :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Have you tried AA meetings?
Dab a little salt on the end of your tongue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: when you get a craving… If your mind is telling you that u fancy a drink then repeat out loud I don’t want to drink drinking ruins my life and also keep thinking about your worse day drinking :beers:

2 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

In addition to all of the advice here I would suggest going to see your primary care doctor and talking to him/her about it.

Hi and welcome. Pick up your hobbies and i agree with others when they say keep busy. Best of luck on your sober journey. Lean on us and use the form as another tool in your quest. Come and read and post. Enjoy this community, there’s some great people here!

1 Like

You can also try medication. There are some meds which help with craving like Librium. You could consult a doctor.

In the early days, I avoided situations that I knew would be a trigger for me. For example in a Friday evening I would drive somewhere for a meal with friends or family so I knew I couldn’t drink . If I stayed at home the temptation would have been too much because Friday was my heaviest drinking at home day! As others have said, keep busy! I am always cleaning and baking now. I walk lots with my dog. The cravings are tough but I have just reached two months and it is definitely getting easier. Good luck .

1 Like