New to this journey

Hey everyone, I’m new to this so I’m not exactly sure how to start. I decided yesterday that I need to be 100% sober and commit to recovery fully. I cheated on my boyfriend when I was blacked out on Tuesday night and I have realized I have a drinking problem. The only way I can fix our relationship is getting help and getting sober. If anybody has any advice or tips that might help, I would very much appreciate that.

9 Likes

Make sure you want it for you too, not just your relationship. Also, be prepared to make tough changes, it isn’t easy but if you prioritize sobriety and work for it steadily you can have it!

2 Likes

welcome to the beginning of a new life, I’m not big on relationship advice but by committing yourself to sobriety you will be amazed the good fortune you will attract and if he loved you before and can forgive you he’s going to love the sober you even more. Remember though no matter what happens if you don’t stop drinking your going to ruin every relationship from this day on. I wish you well on your journey and reach out to others if things get hard.

2 Likes

Do it for yourself, nobody else.

1 Like

Hi and welcome.
Im only 25 days in my journey after a black out incident one to many.
Its a great space here.
The only advice like others have said is to be doing this for yourself.
X

1 Like

Yes it definitely won’t work if I don’t want sobriety for myself and I do so badly. Alcohol has taken so much from me and I’m ready for a major life change.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. This is definitely a great tool for recovery and to built a sober community.

Below is a link to a thread. This thread has a ton of resources that others here have used to maintain long term sobriety. Take a look and see if there’s anything that looks like you’d want to try. Then try it out!

Resources for our recovery

Glad you’re here.

1 Like

Welcome. I am glad you are here, and hope you will stay, learn, share and grow.

I have no doubt that what happened while you were blacked out, was a wakeup call, and your desire to never let something like this happen again, is good motivation. While it may be difficult to look deeper into this, I would encourage you to do so. I am sure you wouldn’t have done this sober. Think about all the other things you’d never do sober, and then accept that blacked out, there’s little that you wouldn’t do. Blacked out you could:

Drive and kill someone else, and that someone is the world to someone else.

Accidentally kill yourself

Place yourself in a situation to be taken and trafficked

Do or say something that ruins a friendship

And on, and on.

I can tell from your picture that you are young. You are just entering the prime of your life, but our portion of time in this world is finite. Think of what I call the three vritues

Resume: the things we say about ourselves. The experiences we have, the achievements and goals.

Eulogy: what people say about us. Their impressions.

Legacy: the lasting mark we leave when we are gone.

Maximize your time. Build your resume. Write your Eulogy. Leave your legacy. Get after it. Don’t waste another single moment drunk or high.

Peace

7 Likes

Good for you. Congrats and welcome to your new journey. One day at a time, I can’t stress that enough.

1 Like