New to this. Looking for advice

I agree with @RedDragon about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). To stop drinking takes a multifaceted approach. Training your brain to react differently is such a huge part of recovery. CBT and DBT have played a major role in my recovery and helping me when my brain wants to do something stupid.

2 Likes

I did two months of CBT when I was in IOP

Wow thank you for this! I was scrolling and reading and this is just what I needed to read tonight (day 2). I am going to figure out how to print your post and read it often. This was written so beautifully and really spoke to me.

1 Like

Beautifully written!

1 Like

Awe, mahalo plenty! I get nervous that I say to much and my enthusiasm for kicking addiction in the butt can be too ‘breathy’. I am just really passionate about people not making the same mistakes that I did when there are easier and softer ways… and yes, I am directly contradicting the words of Bill W. and his “How it Works” preamble where it say’s, "…At some of these we balked. We thought we could nd an easier, softer way. But we could not. " I am here to tell the world or anyone who will listen that THERE IS AN EASIER AND SOFTER WAY and it begins by looking yourself dead in the eye and saying, 'I am NOT powerless over a liquid. I am NOT a statistic. I am NOT a limited belief, I am soul on a transformational journey where my MIND controls my thoughts and my HEART propels my actions.

Don’t get me wrong, I have my moments and bouts of anger but it’s all a part of the process. Find a ‘totem’ to keep on you that will help keep you grounded and focused. I usually keep a stone in my pocket and a bracelet on my wrist connecting me to my source motivation… HOPE. When I feel anxious I grab hold of my totems and hope for the strength I need to get me through the moment. Whether it be placebo, spirit, or the art of distraction, it’s gotten me through life and death.

Your journey towards sobriety is a gift not only to yourself but others like myself. We are in this TOGETHER as global consciousness is a thing and the more you succeed, the more you can cheer on the others who are weighed down by overwhelming thoughts of worthlessness and despair, and dis-ease.

Thank you for your message, it was the first thing I read when I woke up and now my heart is full and ready to take on the day’s challenges with you as my happy thought!

Much love and aloha and here is a smile from me to you…

Mahalo! And what a gorgeous smile you have! You may be in black and white but all I see is sparkles!

1 Like

I had my mood swings at that time. Whats your DOC if you dont mind me asking…? Mine was heroin. And i wanted to kill everyone for like 6 to 9 months of my sobriety lol. It never felt like it was getting better. But it did! Take it one day at a time. One minute at a time of that work better. Youll get there.