New, unsure, scared and sad

Hi,
I’m new here, I’m not even sure if I’m in the right place. I feel like I am. Apologies if I’m not.
I just need to talk about this.

I’m young. And I’m ashamed and embarrassed because of the person I turn into when I binge drink. Especially at such a young age.

I don’t know when to stop, I drink so much on a night out that I black out and can’t remember anything the next day and when I can it’s only snippets. I run away from the people I go out with, my poor partner included, and I end up being alone walking around a city area or sitting in a pub, heavily intoxicated to the point where I’m nearly passing out. Anything could happen, and I wouldn’t remember a damn thing.

My partner, my dear dear partner. I’ve put him through hell. I hate what I become when I get drunk. I treat him horribly, then I make up for it and make promises never to be like that again but then I go out the next weekend and say “oh just one drink”. No. It’s never just one drink. It turns into 20 and me embarrassing myself in front of friends, family and my partner.

I’m ashamed. I’m hurting. I’m scared. I’m embarrassed.

I love my partner to bits, but he’s at his whits end with me and my drunken bullshit.
I’m surprised he’s still around. He’s a trooper and a great guy. But I think the weekend was the last straw. I’m gutted that I’ve done this to him again.

This is it. It stops here. No more drinking. No more partying. I am a terrible drunk and I never want to turn into that person again. I’m not only doing it for my partner, I’m doing it for me too.

16 Likes

Good for you. You want to change. That is where it starts. Buckle up - this is where the rubber hits the road, and the work begins - but if you want it, really want it, you will do whatever you have to do, to make it happen.

You are in the right place. It’s nice to meet you. This is a good place with lots of people who’ve been exactly where you are now. You’ll find there’s lots to learn here :innocent:

You’re a good person who deserves a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. Never forget that. You matter, your life matters, and you are the one writing your future.

5 Likes

Hi. Welcome.
It’s totally understandable to be lost and scared. I was and I’m 50+.
At this moment I would suggest having a really good read around on here.
Use the magnifying glass to search any questions, or terms you would like to know more about.
ie, if you put “binge drinking” in there will be loads of references that you may find interesting and relevant to you.
Take your time, look for similarities, this will help you to see that, yes, you have come to the right place.
Most importantly. Just relax.
You have made the decision, now to put a plan into place to move forward at your own speed.

4 Likes

Thankyou, appreciate your reply and kind words

2 Likes

Thankyou Geo, I will be sure to take a look around. I’ve already found this app really useful and helpful.

2 Likes

Welcome! This is a really great first step. Read as much as you can, and reach out often.

4 Likes

Right on good for you!!! It takes what it takes and you’ll never have to feel like this again one day at a time. Proud of you!!! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

2 Likes

Hi.
Your story resonates with me. This place has been great for me - seven days sober today. You should be proud of yourself. You are realizing what you need to do and this is a big first step. Especially typing it all out and admitting those things. Good for you. I’m happy you are here!
Feel free to reach out if ya need a ear…can’t give much advice but I can listen!

Welcome!

3 Likes

I am like this and took the vow never to do it again. There is to much to loose just because I can’t handle the drink. I drink and drink and drink. There is no moderation anymore. I have upset so many people lost a girl I really like. But you live and learn and life goes on. It will get worse if you carry on believe you me. Its not how I imagined things would be but that’s the smoke n mirrors of hard drinking. You think you having a good time but you just end up having a mad night and wake up feeling like crap. Try not to be hard on yourself and just try to be better and learn.

3 Likes

I’m also a bad binge drinker.

It’s for the best that you realise now.

Imagine continuing what you are doing for the next however many years. My relationship crumbled because of my drinking. I thought I was having a great time but I was destroying myself and everything and everyone around me.

3 Likes

It’s not good is it. Just had a sinking feeling thinking about it. Again. Time to build them broken bridges but the main thing is to focus on yourself and get your head in a good place.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s terrible. Worst drug out there for some people (me). I’m 31 days sober. I haven’t gone this long in 6 years or more. I used to drink beers every day after work. I can’t drink ever again. As much as I loved that warm liberating feeling… It always leads to shit.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Now that you have motivation and resolve, I suggest you pair that up with a plan and some concrete steps. This thread Resources for our recovery is full of ideas for you to try. If you put something into action now, right now not tomorrow, your chances of staying sober this weekend are going to increase.

Blessings on your house as you begin your journey. :pray:

2 Likes