New User... On the road to recovery!

Hi all! I’ve just downloaded this app! The interface seems a little funky and overwhelming. Kind of hard to navigate but the ratings were stellar so I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

I’m on Day 1 of sobriety from drinking and from bulimia. I had three weeks until a slight slip up yesterday. I like to reset the clock at even the most minor slip ups. I’m 30 now and I’ve been drinking since I was 13, and the bulimia crept in quietly in about 2 years ago. This has been the first year I’ve been serious about my sobriety and I even made it to 6 months! I really want to stay clean and healthy… life feels so much better when you’re sober.

I am hoping to meet friends and like minded addicts!

11 Likes

You certainly will. Many great people here. Welcome to TS , we’re glad to have you! Check in lots , it really does help. Wish you the best.

2 Likes

Congratulations on getting sober. This is a great resource. Everyone here is nice and supportive. Stay strong and remember you got this!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, and we’re glad you found us. If you’re looking for something in particular, use the search icon. At the top of the main screen. You can type in your keywords and sort by relevance, activity, etc. My advice is NEVER CRAVE ALONE. If you feel like drinking, tell someone, come here and tell us. Let us help you stay sober. @SoberWalker has some awesome tools she uses to help. Being addicted to painkillers, my list of coping techniques and ways to avoid triggers will be different than an alcoholics.

3 Likes

Thanks for tagging me, here’s my sober list @Karla_Petrunina. It helps me a lot to stay sober. More then one year sober now.
Be aware that this app is also found trough internet and your private name is on your profile. Maybe change that?

Here’s my sober list:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to check in sober.
8 Likes

Hi @Karla_Petrunina nice to meet you x this place is awesome, there is loads of experience to draw from and there is always someone around if you’re struggling. It sounds like you are well and truly building your sober muscles, great job on days gained :+1: look forward to hearing more from you, welcome to the family xx​:pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

@Karla_Petrunina I also downloaded today. Thank you for sharing your story. It helps me a lot. I really want to stop drinking for good as well and I think I need support to get there. I don’t fight urges to drink but alcohol have a very bad impact on my psychological health if I accidentally have too much to drink.

I was drugged at a party when I was 22 (I’m now 28) and woke up in a hospital the next morning. I still don’t know what happened to me that night, all I know are what the doctors and the guy who picked me up on the highway and drove me to the hospital have told me. I’m OK today and I have a very happy life but whenever I have a drink too many it all comes back. I feel like an empty shell, like there’s a darkness in me that I can’t push away. And I hate this feeling. It affects my whole life so I need to stop drinking for good. This only happens to me a couple of times a year but I can’t take any more slips, so here I am.

I feel like the people in my life support me but I don’t think I’m being honest about what a problem it really is. Since it only happens sometimes (not often), they don’t see the issue and I don’t know how to talk about it. Maybe coming here will help. Either way, thank you to those who read this message. And if no one, it at least helps to write it down.

1 Like

Hi @Karla_Petrunina and @Mln, I’m new today too. Your stories may be different, but hopefully we can all beat this. Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up. You are doing well. If you thought last month you would have drank once in 21 days, you would have said great. It’s a marathon, not a Sprint.

Thank you!

Here for you!