Newbie/ drinking in moderation?

Hi and welcome. Good job on 56 days. Thats great. I have tried controlled drinking and/or moderation and it worked for a while. I always, always ended up back where I was drinking heavy. For me it’s best not to drink at all.

3 Likes

The definition of a high functioning alcoholic is someone who is a drunk.

When they told me that, it helped break down my denial a little more.

5 Likes

I’m happy now I don’t have to obsess about alcohol all the time.

A year ago I would’ve loved to be able to moderate. Now I couldn’t think of anything worse.

Why would I want 2 drinks of beer? It’s pointless. I drank to get drunk

7 Likes

This absolutely makes sense to me and made me lol. Drinking moderately really doesn’t do anything for me either. I was invited to a paint and sip tomorrow night and I’m planning on bringing a sparkling juice.

4 Likes

When I drank, my goal was getting drunk. Once a buzz started I kept feeding and feeding it. I do not miss it at all.

4 Likes

I was like you not without boundaries… But within my boundaries I was limitless.
And when life got real shitty… Boundaries moved bit by bit…

Addiction is an progressive disease if we don’t treat addiction it will kill us eventually.

2 Likes

I think everyone of us has tried that. It might work… for a little bit. But alcoholics suffer from a progressive disease. It WILL always get worse. Never better if we continue to drink.

I was told early on to make a list of everything that I had in life. Everything that I loved and cherished. So things like my children and my home and my wife and freedom and my career and self respect. Things like that.

Then I was told that if I tried to keep drinking that these were all the things that I was going to lose. And to check them off my list as I lost them.

4 Likes