Newbie here how do I take 1st step?

Hi and good evening all.

I was just wondering how this site works as I’m on day 1 of no drinking and have already failed. What do I need for 1st step?just sheer will power? I live alone and have no one who i can talk to.thank you in advance

10 Likes

First step is being honest with yourself and admitting you have a problem. From there, being honest open minded and willing to do anything to get and stay sober. Welcome to the community:)

5 Likes

Welcome Lyndey.
What Mike said on your first response is a great first step. This is a great sober community for support. I couldn’t do it without support. I’m glad you found us.
Have a good read around.
Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

Join in when your comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Welcome!

I am afraid if all it took was sheer will power, none of us would need to be here.

You will need will power, and some type of recovery program.

You will find here plenty of different ways and programs that got people sober: AA, SMART, Recovery Dharma, their own designed plan…just to name a few

Be active, read, participate, even have some fun.

9 Likes

You’ve already taken the first step my friend, asking for help is the first step to sobriety.

The next step is quitting.

What helped me was to write down what I was feeling, what I was thinking and what I was going through. I wrote in a journal about every 2 hours. I did this for about a week. Every time I felt week (which was often), I read my journal entries, starting with the first. It reminded me what I had gone through up to thar point. Reading it made me realize how much I’ve gone through and I didn’t want to have to go through that again.

I also stayed home for a while. I missed out in my favorite band, had tickets and everything, but my sobriety was #1 priority.

I also watched a lot of YouTube videos of people with a year of sobriety. I wanted what they had, with every fiber of my being. It helped give me a clear goal and motivation. I also learned a lot too!

Just remember, everyone’s path is different but the goal is the same, don’t ever forget that.

6 Likes

Glad you’re here, you’re among people who can relate to what you’re working toward, sobriety, and who know how hard that journey can be. But also how much it’s worth it to have a healthier, happier life. When I joined I read around the different threads and it took me a few months to actually post anything, so you are on the right path already by asking for help!

Everyone is different, some people check in every day on either their own post/thread, other people use the checking in daily thread, and some just chime in now and then on other people’s posts. I think what helped me the most was a combination of sharing what I was feeling and thinking as well as offering support to others. You choose your level of participation but just know you’re not alone. ODAAT - One Day At A Time. Sometimes a minute at a time.

Hang in there and keep coming back!

1 Like

Hello Lyndey. Pleased you are here. You took your first step when you downloaded the app.
Keep coming on here and reading posts of others, learning from the knowledge section.
You’ve asked for help and people will help you. It’s up to you to take that help and advice and work at being sober.
Your not on your own here mate.
Best wishes. :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like