Newbie LGBT-WTF

No, not saying our lives are “harder” by any means (cause, like, who gets to presume that everyone else must have it easier all the time?). Just that part of our lives is different from most people’s, the pain that comes with that is unique and AA (the program) has within it the means to explore and cope with that, and it’d be great if one day every AA room was the same way.

2 Likes

I agree about keeping shares recovery related. Many topics include a familial perspective on recovery/relational interferences of using substances. It has been my experience this far that referencing my wife has caused quite a few raised brows and recently some negative opinion. I have also experiences tremendous support by others as well. I was curious as to the prevalence of these interactions.

4 Likes

Again I’m sorry you should never be judged in the rooms ever!!! Now with that being said will it happen yes but remember it’s people not the program. And hopefully not the majority by any means. I would proudly walk up to you after a meeting and give you a hug and words of encouragement.

2 Likes

Having to choose a sponsor of the same gender is really messing me up here. I can’t relate to women even though I was married to one. All my friends are male.

The AA pamphlets actually say (of same-gender sponsorship) “many gay and lesbian alcoholics found an opposite-sex sponsor to be more effective for these reasons” (I am paraphrasing, but it’s from the pamphlet about sponsorship). Maybe show this to your group/prospective sponsors if they’re skeptical?

1 Like

Hi, this website might be helpful.

Just put your city and state in the search bar and meetings in your area will pop up. I hope this helps :grin::grin:

1 Like