Newbie, looking for some advice

Tomorrow will be 10 days without alcohol. I’ve not gone more than maybe 5/6 in 25 years. I didn’t drink daily, no dramatic downfalls, loss of job/family, trips to the hospital, etc. I was tired of the way I prioritized alcohol on the weekends over friends and family and decided it’s time to stop.

Thus far only my wife knows, but word will get out fast as coworkers and friends will quickly notice me not drinking as that’s been a staple for me. Curious how people handle that question or situation. In my head I’ve thought of saying “I’m quitting for awhile”. I feel like when using the term “sober” it implies a problem or a “situation” that lead to that decision. Truthfully both of those are true, but don’t necessarily want to open up that line of questioning.

I’m just at the beginning and the first big test was making it through a weekend which I accomplished. Mentally I feel good, but also trying to not be cocky about it, my mindset is “I’m not drinking today”, then repeat it the following day.

Thanks everyone, good luck on your respective journeys :pray::heart:

7 Likes

Congrat on 10 days. I know how you feel, I dislike the word recovery it seemed like a problem that needed to be fixed, but I now see it as rebuilding. Rebuilding my life, relationships with friends, family and spouse. Rebuilding the jagged foundation my alcohol problem created. Rebuilding and reforming how I see everything. Choosing path that is better for life I’m creating. Fighting the war inside for that better life.
People will understand that alcohol is controlling you and understand that you are wanting a better life. All the people in your life are there to support you and help you fight for yourself. An everyday is one more step in rebuilding your life.
Plus you have all us to help on your journey.

2 Likes

Hey welcome! Congrats on your first weekend, that is always the hardest one!

Like you, I didn’t fall far due to alcohol. I did have some legal issues and it definitely put a strain on my marriage and reputation, but nothing overtly dramatic.

At first, in the first 3 months or so, I kept to myself. I didn’t go out or socalize at all, so really no one to have to explain my sobriety to.

Once I decided that I want long term sobriety, I tell people the truth, “I don’t drink”. End of explanation.

Occasionally some jackass keeps digging and again, I’ll tell them the truth; “I had a problem with alcohol and that’s why I don’t drink, any more questions?”

I’ve never had any judgment that negatively affected me because of that, in fact, quite the opposite, I’ve garnered repect and admiration from my peers.

Surprisingly, the biggest reapomse when I tell my old friends I quit drinking is “Good for you”, followed by, “It’s about time!”. See, even though I didn’t have dire consequences from drinking, my problem with alcohol wasn’t exactly a secret. :wink:

My advice is to always be honest. If you can’t be honest with others, how can you be honest to yourself?

7 Likes

Thank you!!

I’m going on a business trip with a coworker next week and the topic will be unavoidable. Once the work is over we go out for drinks… It’s what we do. I suppose, at least at this point, luckily I’m more concerned about the discussion than breaking down and drinking.

I am fortunate it’s with someone I like, trust and respect. Wouldn’t be my first choice of people to tell, but far from the last person as well.

2 Likes

Just be honest tell them I don’t drink anymore. I understand it’s hard, that telling people about your alcohol problem. That feel like your broken and need to fixed. We aren’t broken, we have a problem that gets the better of us. We drink an it takes control of us. We need to remember every single day we are better than the alcohol. We walk the path to rebuild ourselves into people we are meant to be. Stay strong and remember you are a warrior on this journey.
If you need to talk we are all here to support you and listen to concerns and encourage you through this.

3 Likes