Newcomer in AA

So today I attended my second AA meeting. The first day I kind of just sat in the corner & the whole time I kept thinking, “what the fuck am I doing here…I don’t belong here”, but I sucked it up and stayed and listened. I came out of my own will. Because I NEED help. And I’m desperate. So on the first day, like I said, I didn’t talk. During the break I did get approached by a few people (super nice) and they introduced themselves to me. And told me to “keep coming back”. And I did. Today they had a “beginners” meeting, where they welcome newcomers. Which is me. They asked if there were any new comers and I raised my hand. They didn’t force me to talk or anything. Just my name. And this super nice lady gave me a marble for being a newcomer, gave me the biggest hug, and said, “welcome home, you’re going to love it here”. I was shook (in a good way). The person leading the meeting began to talk and discuss. The topic of the day was HOPE. He shared his story. Then a couple more people. It was intense. I decided to raise my hand and share as well. During that moment, I caught myself talking so much…I didn’t think I would even say much. But I felt such a weight off my chest to share and say I can here looking for hope. Because I’m sick. And I’m desperate to get better. Let me just tell you, literally everyone there made me feel so welcomed. A lot of more people introduced themselves to me and and gave me their #s telling me if I ever felt like I was gonna relapse to give them a call. I’m not one to judge but at first when I walked in I looked around at the people and thought “wow, I definitely don’t belong here” …that was my ego judging right away. Only to find out I’ve just met some of the most nicest people who are there not only for themselves but to help and encourage others to love a sober happy life. My first day I felt so uncomfortable. Second day, after sharing and talking to people, cracking jokes, sharing stories…I suddenly felt “at home”. My whole life I’ve tried to deal with my problem on my own. Only to keep relapsing over and over again. Only to find out, I can’t do this alone. I never could. And I think that coming to aa might be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I might have found that “hope” I’ve been looking for. I know it’s only been the second day, but that’s just how my experience went and how I’ve felt. They say AA has been proven to work and help addicts live a sober happy life. I’m starting to see why. Could this be my life from now on? Possibly. And quite frankly, I’m starting to be okay with that. Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Hello and welcome im so pleased you are giving aa meetings a try. They really are a big part of my recovery. I was the same as you I couldn’t believe that so many lovely people wanted to help me . Your do so well in recovery if you keep going back if you do struggle anytime give one of the numbers a call … cos it really does help and people in recovery love to help and support eachother. Welcome to your new life x

2 Likes

theses rooms will show you a new way ,a way that doesn’t mean we have to use against our will,keep coming back.your in the right place at the right time there’s more than enough love honesty and sincerity for everyone.im so happy for you.good on you for getting outta your comfort zone,I see so many newcomers but rarely see them after that first time,as we share and listen to shared we learn about others but more importantly about ourselves :pray::pray:

2 Likes

Yip that seat was just waiting for you ,your journey begins listen to learn and im sure youl be ok wish you well

2 Likes

Gosh Pal, your share just brought a tear to my eyes.

I’m so happy that you had this experience at your meeting. It sounds like it was just what you needed.

I’m glad you’re here (and there😉)
Keep coming back!!

4 Likes

People in aa are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Five years ago I left as I thought I was ‘okay’ now with all the aa meetings and counselling and I could do it on my own.

On and off I drank since, missing whole weeks at a time sometimes, just a blur, missing work but I didn’t care.

Two weeks ago I was in hospital. Came out and Saturday just gone I went back to my ‘first’ aa meeting on Zoom. Been to one every day since. I am such a nervous/anxious person when it’s real and not the bullshit face you put on every day so it’s hard to share but I do and try because I can relate to all of it.

I’m so glad you found it and found the people in aa and loved read your post.

3 Likes

So THAT’S why people rave about AA. Cool! Also, I wondered about how they were handling this in COVID. Great, uplifting recount. Thanks.

2 Likes

Great job Julio!! That took some guts and lots of courage. Glad you went back for a day 2. Keep that open mind and you’ll go far. One sober day at a time. Just for today.
:pray::heart:

3 Likes

@Jake1. I’m tagging you here because here is a wonderful story about someone else’s first meeting.

I suggest you also reach out the way this person did. Introducing yourself as a newcomer.
I understand that can be totally terrifying! Lol. But it really does get the ball rolling

5 Likes

Thank you everyone!!! I am ready for this new “clean” chapter of my life!!! :raised_hands::raised_hands:

3 Likes