Nice to meet you

Hi, I’m new to the community here and have been ‘sober’ for just under 24 hours now as of writing this. I’m not sure if you can be sober of self harm but this helps me track my time. I started harming 2-3 years ago which I’m not proud of I’ve always been rather ashamed of it. For a long time I felt I had no right to complain and that I deserved to hurt, that cutting my arms was a form of punishment something I needed to do so I could learn. Yesterday I tried to take my own life. Its stupid I know, but its hard to know when to stop and I think all of you here can understand that. My friends are all very supportive and taking steps to ensure my safety do not worry for me I am in good hands. I’m starting therapy shortly and we are talking over treatment options. I’m very sorry if my story isn’t the most uplifting one but I will say I’m trying to make a change so my story can be a better and happier one. It seems I’ve been standing on the edge between life and death waiting for something to sway me one way or another, but I think I’m done doing that I want help and I want support. What I really want is to be loved something I didn’t get a great deal of during my childhood. Getting all of that out of the way I am more than happy to follow this path I’ve been set on so I can create a better life for myself.

P.S. Sorry for any grammatical errors I am writing this hastily.

9 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through :heart:

I was glad to read you’re going through treatment options. Even with the very best intentions, your friends can’t be enough support if you got as far as trying to take your own life :pensive:

You seem happy to commit to getting help, which is a great start. We are always here if you need to talk.

Remember always, you ARE loved. People do care about you, and want you here. With the right help, you will see that. Right now, you need to focus on loving yourself first.

I wish you all the best with your recovery, we are here if you need a chat sweetheart :heart:

4 Likes

I’m so glad you’re still here on this earth, and now here on this app. Everyone here is wonderfully, amazingly kind. Alcohol is my vice, but I see many people with cutting as their struggle. In the end, everything we do to ourselves is self-destruction. Sadly we all have that in common. But we’re stronger together than alone.

Take care of yourself. I’m so glad you have people in your life who are there for you. :people_hugging::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Welcome Niamh,
Yes you can definitely be sober from self harm. And I’ve learned through being here you can be sober from many other addictions beside drinking, drugs, sex, eating, gaming, and many other addictions. I think you will fit in with us just fine.
Congratulations on beginning you new journey. There are many loving, caring, welcoming people in this sober community. I find by supporting each other it it helps us stay sober.
You can use the search :mag: up above on the top right, to search Self Harm, and read other’s stories. If you’ve got any questions just ask. We were all knew and frightened at the beginning of our journeys and unfamiliar with this app.
Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Im so happy you are still with us, please know that there are some amazing people on this site that will support you, i dont have experience of self harm but i know alot on here do and there are many threads about it, human to human…you matter to me and i want to send my love your way, vent here whenever you need to, we are all here for you :heart: :people_hugging:

1 Like

I think your on a good path to recovery especially since you mentioned you want to stop