Nice to meet you. :)

Hi,

I don’t know who’s going to read this or if it even is appropriate of me to create this. If not, I will delete it asap.

I just wanted to do some kind of introduction thingy. Maybe to keep myself accountable, maybe because I truly do not know where else to turn.

My Name is Jonas. I’m 25 years old and I’m an alcoholic. I went to rehab about 2 years ago and I’ve failed to keep sober.

Last week is when it all turned to shit. I’ve been drinking more often there past few months and when I went out to celebrate, I got into a really bad argument with one of the few friends I had left and now she is gone.

The worst part was, I didn’t even remember what exactly was said. Somebody else had to tell me the next day.

Needless to say, it wasn’t pretty.

I can count the times I’ve been an aggressive drunk on one hand. And that is enough for me.

Sorry for the long text, I’ve been sober since then but the shame doesn’t really fade.

Which at this point in time is a good thing, I think.

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a pleasant day, or at least a tolerable one.

Nice to finally take this seriously, and even nicer to meet you :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Jonas! Nice to meet you and glad you found us. We all have our own stories and by sharing them the burden comes better to bear I feel. It’s what this place is for so thanks for sharing your story.

The most important thing to me about being here is knowing I’m not alone. We’re in this together. Here we can learn from each other, share our victories and hardships, support each other and find support.

So welcome again, and congrats on your decision to live a sober life. One day at a time is how we do it. And yesterday is gone. We can try to make amends, but the best way to do that is change our ways and ourselves. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

7 Likes

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Yes not being alone sounds awesome. Espacially when the continuation of my chosen path will lead me directly to that.

I’ve been going back to meetings since my last relapse and the atmosphere is still as welcoming as it was a year ago.

As to doing things differently, I’ll be blunt:

It’s either this or the complete destruction of everything I still hold dear.

Sorry for rambling. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome Jonas. Very nice appropriate introduction. This is a great sober forum to get and give support.

I noticed you’re 25 and it reminded me of a thread @john_connor1337 just started the other day.

There’s so many threads and topics. Have a good read around. Get involved on here when you feel comfortable. If you got any questions about anything just ask. We were all new once.

I could not get sober without the support of the lovely people on this app.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Hey Jonas :wave:
Welcome to the group. I think allt of us completely understand where you are coming from. I have been there, done that! You have stumbled into the BEST PLACE! We are a family here and we love adding to it. :hugs:
Read threads, join convo’s, share some pic’s and please.knkw this is a safe space to ask for help.
So awesome to have you here. :grin:

1 Like

Thank you, it feels good to finally be here.

(Always made plans to do so but never followed through.)

Guess that’s the addict in me.

:face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Hello Jonas, nice to meet you :smiley:

This is a great place and with members from all over the world someone is always online. Share your stories, check in for the day, write out your gratitude… whatever works for you, let us be a part of your recovery.

And then there are all the threads about hobbies and life in general. Share your interests: from gym to gardening, music and film, cooking, reading, yoga, knitting, photos of your goldfish… everything goes!

Hope to see you around and get to know you better. Welcome to the family :heartpulse:
:squid:

1 Like

Welcome!! Glad you are here!

1 Like

Just chiming in a welcome, Jonas! You are in great company here. Wish you well on your journey !:pray::v:

It is good you have this space to talk. Don’t beat yourself up. I think many persons here can tell you a story or two. I have had to be accountable to some situations. I understand what happened with you and your friend was just recent. Focus on you getting better. You can do it! I wish I had sooner. When you are at a better place reach out and tell your friend you are sorry. If they don’t accept right away maybe it’s meant to be for now. Plus I have found people that I drank with was best to keep an arms length away. You seem to be strong and smart to know at 25 you want to clean up your act. Keep it up!

3 Likes

Alcoholism often feels very lonely, especially when you’ve relapsed and there doesn’t seem to be an understanding soul around. Fortunately, there’s many understanding, welcoming people here and you don’t have to feel alone anymore.

Welcome!!

2 Likes

Hey Jonas. I’m really glad you found your way here. I’ve been here for a few years but have relapsed many times. One thing that always helps get me back on track is this app. I’ve had many shameful black out nights that have ruined relationships and opportunities for me, so I know how you are feeling. I’m sorry to hear that happened. It’s easy to beat yourself up about it, but shame is too heavy. The fact that you are taking accountability is the first step in taking that heavy ass “coat” off that you’re wearing, and as you try and better yourself I hope you find yourself breathing easier and realizing you are worthy of self forgiveness. Be proud of yourself for being here.

2 Likes

Hi Jonas welcome, I’m Claudia nice to meet you too! :raising_hand_woman:
Glad you found this app and the people in it.
It’s a great surportive group and I’m proud to be part of it. I came here in despair and needed help just like you. Today I’m sober and happy and I wish you the same!
What has helped me a lot was checking in every day to keep myself focussed and accountable. I did that on our daily check in thread. It’s a very active thread with loads of support!
Check it out and feel free to join!

If you have any questions just ask!
See you around!!

1 Like

Welcome to the community @JonasE so glad you found us! There’s so much support and welcoming people here, I hope to see you around here :blush:
:heart::v:

1 Like

Thank you, and yes I’ll certainly be around for a while. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and yes, I feel like this “coat” I’ve been wearing is looking pretty ragged after years of keeping me warm.

Guess there’s no second hand store to leave it at.
:melting_face:

Being proud of myself is something I’ve been struggeling with. I tend to swing from extremes so maybe being proud is not something I should be doing atm. Otherwise I could easily lie to myself and think that it’s okay to drink again.

It’s not.

Have a great sunday,

Jonas

3 Likes

Welcome to TS @JonasE ! Wishing you the best with your sobriety … and life!

2 Likes