No to staying out late

Today I said “no” to something and I’m so proud of myself. When I used to drink, I loved going out at night. I stayed out till late too. Now I go to bed at 9:30 and asleep by about 11. It’s a great setup and my body thanks me for it. Some workmates asked to go out on a Sunday night to movies at 8pm. It’s a two hour movie, I wouldn’t get home till about 11 and obviously not get to sleep till probably 1. Next day I have work so I’ll spend the next several days trying to catchup on sleep. I don’t drink coffee or energy drinks either so it’s double trouble. I said no, I felt bad, but I feel good about myself. So yay! Do you all stay out late often?

9 Likes

I don’t anymore. I was the same - I used to be an all night party-er. Now I am delighted to be in bed by 930 or 10. I recently went to a nighttime event with family and it got to 1015 and I decided to leave, even though it wouldn’t be over until 11. I still needed to drive 45 mins home, so getting home at 11am was a LATE night for me. I feel so much better with good, restful sleep. And I am able to get up early and do cool stuff in the morning.

4 Likes

Well done for thinking about yourself.
It’s the most important thing to do at this time. You do what you feel comfortable doing.
I stopped doing anything outside of working through not drinking. That took up a lot of my time and energy at first.
I stopped November 18 so I had Christmas a month later. I did nothing over the period, just stayed at home. Drinking water and ginger beer.
Keep doing what you are doing, as you get more time in you will notice how the old habits start to fade as you develop new ones that are conducive to sobriety. It’s life changing this experience because old habits become boring as you look to a new life sober!

2 Likes

Im early to bed except on my meeting nights . its work for me so far wish you well

1 Like

Nothing better than being in bed early! Since I stopped drinking the days of staying out late has came to an end as well.

1 Like

Making the decisions for you is the right thing for your recovery you do what helps you in recovery we sometimes have to put ourseyfirst as without our recovery what have we got booze and drugs and A WHOLE LOAD OF PAIN.you did ok mate

1 Like

Goid going. These new healthy habits and decisions will feel comfortable over time.

2 Likes

I always feel bad when I stay out late, but I still do it probably about once a week just because of social things. It’s hard that all my friends and my partner are night owls. I feel a million times better when I go to bed early and wake up early, but it’s so hard for me to call it quits at the end of the night!

2 Likes