Nobody is perfect šŸ˜”

So I was 18 days sober but yesterday I crackedā€¦ it was my big sisters birthday and I was doing good at brunch. Everybody was having mimosas and I was staying strong and didnā€™t have any. Until we went to this pop up bar and they had a peanut butter stout and Iā€™m crazy for peanut butter so I had 1ā€¦ than 1 turned into 2 and into the night I drank more. Got intoxicated pretty fast even missed work this morning :pensive: Iā€™m upset with myself but itā€™s a new day and it makes me stronger. I went 18 days and Iā€™m proud of that so I want to double my 18 days now and stay sober . I hope everyone is doing well. One day at a time :heart:

15 Likes

Good for you getting back on it! You only fail if you stop trying šŸ«¶šŸ» Iā€™ve relapsed many times but I know how bad I want this so Iā€™ll never give up and Iā€™m really pushing myself this time. Thats all we can do.

7 Likes

Hey Danny,

congratulations on 18 days sober. That is more than two weeks. This is quite an accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself.
Another really great thing to be proud of is you coming here and sharing. Iā€˜ve read it so many times, but it really strikes my heart every time I read it: The opposite of addiction is connection. You are here. You are sharing. You are connecting. Great job.
Now for that relapse of yours: You were in a situation where you gave in to a voice in your head, to a craving. If you donā€˜t want to repeat this outcome: What could you have done differently to avoid this turn of events? What can you do differently next time? What have you learned about yourself and your addiction?
Whatever you come up with: Hit that pillow sober today. Wishing you all the best on your journey and hoping to see more of you.

7 Likes

I applaud your strength and attitude about what happened ā€” go ahead and double it. :muscle:t3: Itā€™s so easy to get caught up in our mistakes but we are only human. What matters is that you are actively making efforts to improve yourself. Also, you getting intoxicated pretty quickly is a good sign. It means your body was healing itself in those 18 days and the yucky alcohol threw your body off. You got this!

4 Likes

Focus on the positives, keeping ourselves feeling low keeps us in a dark place.

Glad you came straight back here :people_hugging::star:

2 Likes

Well done for getting back on it.

Sad truth though - if you donā€™t change some behaviours it will be that much harder to stay sober. Resisting requires willpower, and willpower is finite. Going to a bar in early sobriety is a test you might want to dodge next time.

1 Like

No one is perfect. For me, in the beginning days of my soberiety, i missed a lot of events. I could not trust my self at an event that had alcohol.

At the time, it felt like the world was endingā€¦because I was missing ā€œspecialā€ events.

6 years later, I couldnt tell you what I missedā€¦and I am 99.9% sure that the individuals that went to those events dont remember or care that I wasnt there.

Protect your sobriety, and the world gets bettwr.

6 Likes

I know how hard it is to stay sober. Be aware that you did not ā€œcrack yesterdayā€. Your thinking about a celebration with day drinking was in gear long before the party started.

Hereā€™s the hard unfortunate truth - I had to be 100% beaten into a state of reasonableness by alcohol before I was able to make staying sober from the time I awoke until the time I went to bed that night my first, above all else, priority. Embarrassment about missing an event or the self induced shame about not being strong enough, these had to be put aside for me.

Abstinence is the fundamental requirement of sobriety, but it is not sufficient of itself. You will be amazed and delighted with how sobriety will change you, if you are willing. Asking for help was nearly impossible for me, and even more unthinkable was accepting and acting on the help offered. Once I did that, though, more beauty and ease came to me than I ever imagined while I was drunk.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

8 Likes

I was not able to get sober until my willingness martched my desire. I wanted sobriety very badly, but actions were not lining up with my wants. I know I needed to skip these types of meetings events in early sobriety. I knew this because my first relapse was a pretty similar story.

6 Likes

Are you willing to do anything to get it?

2 Likes

I just realize I am human and we all make mistakes and keep trying to be better. I also pray a lot.

ā€œI can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.ā€ - Phillipians 4:13

1 Like

@Danny100 how is it going today. Lot of input here, what are your feelings with what you have read?

1 Like

Great job 18 days! I wish I could do that but I fail too soon. I need a recovery routine of daily na meetings and a sponsor for some kind of accountability. I have to find this and I havenā€™t yet . Today Iā€™m mindful and Iā€™m gonna try again.

1 Like