Nobody Takes Alcoholism Seriously

Ahah hope I can :smile: wdym sorry im always up for some fun :joy:

2 Likes

The friends I hung out with when I was drinking had very similar drinking patterns as myself. So if they were to acknowledge that I had issues with alcohol, they might have had to recognize the same problem in them own lives. Denial worked not only to shield themselves from the issue but also not to see my hopelessness.

Getting sober to me meant that I needed to wean myself from my drinking buddies. I could integrate myself back into life fully only after I conquered my demons and admitted alcohol was killing me and being happy joyous and free became my modus operandi.

5 Likes

I think the majority of those who have responded agree. But I can tell you that I, like you, had to lie many times about why I was no longer using drugs or drinking, and the decision I made was to be totally open about my addiction. Not hiding where I was going for 2 hours, what did I do. After all these years sober, I can tell you that it has worked for me. Those who previously wanted me to consume, today many of them are my brothers within N.A. and A.A., I took many of them, others simply walked away. I don’t go around the world with an “Addict” label on my forehead, but maybe letting them know that I’m in a group and that I’m sober can save a life.

3 Likes

I tried to stay around some life time friends but it did not work . They would always say come on I chilled some porseco! Yes my choice to say yes or no, but then I felt like I would ruin their good time and he’ll sounded good at the time! But guess what they were the same ones enjoying my weakness and talking about me.
I had to love them from an arms length. Chat on the telephone, make light excuses about not attending a get together or so on. I must say it felt good after not seeing them for awhile and then seeing them and them shocked with my changed appearance. Weight loss, glowing , not swollen and worn looking. I feel like I have more control of choices and brain fog is slowly lifting and this is only day 31. Hope this helps🌸

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for sharing your insights and experiences, I’ve been quite busy with daily life but you make staying sober so much easier and everytime I even think about a drink I remember the experiences you have shared and the support that I have felt. You guys are amazing. :heart:

2 Likes