Non Alcoholic drinks

What’s people’s thoughts?

Was tempted to get some non alcoholic beers this evening but didn’t in the end as wasn’t sure if it would lead to me craving alcohol more so… as suppose mentally is like I’m drinking as tastes the same

1 Like

Hi @DarrenUK,same as you I cosidered this. Actually bought some on about day three or four. Then I read opinions here and other places, same type of things you mentioned about relapse. Never did try them. On the other side I’ve seen people talking about drinking them,no problem. I guess people just have to decide for themselves.

1 Like

I drink kombucha to help my cravings. Its really good for you.

1 Like

Agreed it depends on the person. In the beginning I bought rootbeer so I could see the bottles and Id settle for that. It helped me cope with it in my hand.

1 Like

Completely have had the “need something in my hand” thing. Starting to ease up some. Sometimes it’s a matter of tricking the mind.

My partner quit drinking (long before me) and switched to non alcoholic beer, he actually likes the taste of beer and doesn’t like sugary drinks.
I have never seen the point though, I guess I only drank beer or wine to get drunk, never actually enjoyed the taste. Non alcoholic versions of the real thing just makes me feel like, I dunno, getting in the bath but the water’s gone cold.
Each to their own! If you’re worried it’ll make you crave alcohol avoid avoid.

5 Likes

Love the bath comparison.

1 Like

I would stay away from NA beer. And I use to put vodka in Kowbucha so I stay away from that too. BTW - there is no scientific evidence of any nutitional benefit from drinking kowbucha.

Sorry. Not based on peer review research.

I love Clausthaler, my favorite. I have been clean 160 days and prefer some n.a. beer on the weekend. It hasn’t made me want to buy the real thing. But, like everyone said before me, it depends on the individual. Good luck and try it if you decide to go with n.a!

I have an extremely sensitive stomach and it helps me so much. I love it.

Its not a debate, if you dont like it, thats your opinion.Its not everyones cup of tea.

Ive actually never tried that haha I’m scared to, I should though

@anon53189373 I believe you need to think about your question. Then you will be able to answer it yourself.

It depends on what you used to drink in a way I think. I used to drink beer mostly, so I know it wouldn’t be a good idea. Seems like most of the people that can drink them successfully weren’t hardcore beer drinkers.

1 Like

Oh, gosh, I had 3 cans of ginger ale tonight and I would NEVER drink soda before becoming sober… I’m worried about the sugar intake, but I guess anything is better than alcohol for now! I hope to transition into something healthier soon.

1 Like

Absolutely @rubyslippers. The sweet tooth will show up once you quit the alcohol, but it will eventually go away once you get further along. Do what it takes to keep yourself sane, sober and sweet tooth happy.

2 Likes

NA beer still has alcohol in it. I would strongly advise against it.

1 Like

Coming from several fails, I don’t recommend drinking the non alcoholic crap. I’m 35 days without a drop today and was craving a bottled beer so badly as I sat on the beach. I bought a cream soda in a glass bottle and laughed as I drank it down in three or four gulps. The NA stuff still has a small percentage of Alchohol. :grimacing:

3 Likes

My most successful previous attempt to carve alcohol out of my life by drinking NA beer instead was effective for about 8 months, until I came to a point where I felt like I had recovered. Eventually I reached a point where I still craved the familair setting, glassware, carbonation, and flavor, and I asked myself “why not have one just here and there?” Surely since I had gone so long without a real drink, I could then occasionally enjoy in moderation right? Slippery slope… before long I was drinking all six, and back where I started. Short on sleep, fatigued, and foggy. Repeat. Avoid triggers. I’m one to speak… I have just completed day two of this new turn, but your topic struck a familiar note, and perhaps my experience with the NA replacement will help with your decision. Either way, stay strong! Have a great day everybody!

2 Likes