Non religious Support groups?

Hey all! I’ve listened into a few more AA or NA meetings online and I can’t get past the god stuff. I’m well aware of how successful some people have been with this specific type of support group but are there any others out there? It’s just really not my thing and makes me a little uncomfortable.
Thanks!!

3 Likes

not sure how far reaching it is but in ontario there’s a group called Smart Recovery

1 Like

Yeah smart recovery is a global thing. There are online meetings a few times a week iirc. The main thing that’s kept me away from it is that it’s just not as accessible as AA in terms of the sheer number of meetings available.

I can’t stand the god stuff either. I generally completely zone out for the first readings in AA because they are so religious, and then tune back in when people start sharing. :joy:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll look into them

:joy: maybe I’ll have to try doing that myself

Honestly it really works for me, especially with online meetings if someone starts getting too preachy about god ill just mute their share and just have a little quiet reflect for a few minutes and then turn the sound back on with the next person.

1 Like

Lots of suggestions here >> Resources for our recovery

I have recently started leaning into Recovery Dharma which is Buddhist inspired, but secular.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check it out

I understand where you are coming from being uncomfortable with the religious aspects of 12 Step groups. I came to the program as an atheist. In fact I still consider myself an atheist. It took my quite awhile to and some very supportive people in my fellowship to get me over my misgivings about “God”.

As I understand it most 12 step groups, such as AA NA SAA, are not religious at all. If these programs demanded that I believe in the God of Abraham in order to maintain sobriety I would have never made it a day. They are, as I understand it, spiritual programs. They may have a religious vibe because alot of people use God and Higher Power interchangeablely. I dont know where your from but if its in a predominantly Christian country then most people will experience their Higher Power as God.

That being said no where in AA literature that I know of does it specific what Higher Power you believe in. If The Flying Spaghetti Monster kept you sober your fellowship would encourage you pray to him as often as you needed. For many people their Higher Power is the group itself. As for me I read alot about Buddhism and their explanation of the inter-connectedness of the universe is the closest thing to a Higher Power I have.

I avoided 12 step groups for a long time because I thought they were inherently religious. When I spent time in them and started to read and invest in the program I came to realize they have absolutely nothing to do with religion.

I encourage you to look into them again with the understanding that the Higher Power of some people that is God does not, by any means, have to be your Higher Power. I also think that they are by far the moat readily available support groups and the main function of them is to be able to build intimate relationships we could not im active addiction.

I wish you all the best. Take care.

4 Likes