Not counting but

I don’t keep tabs on how long I have been sober, deliberately. At first it was motivating to see how far I had come and pick up tokens and keyrings at meetings as markers of success, but after some relapses they became markers of failure for me, especially the 24 hours ones. At the moment beating my obsession with alcohol is my goal, but I thought I would work out how long ago I finally gave up smoking, following relapses, and plug it in to this app. I found out it is just over 20 years, which gives me hope. Smoking is no longer a consideration nor a temptation in my life, and hasn’t been part of it for years. I hope I will soon be able to say the same about alcohol. Best wishes to all for your successes. :pray::heart:

10 Likes

That is understandable. I got beaten down when it took me forever to string any days or weeks together. I can relate to how dishearteningand discouraging that can be. You need to do what works for YOU, which may be different than what works for others, and that is just fine. :heart:

And congrats on 20+ years free of smoking! I am 12 or 13 years free as well and it never crosses my mind.

2 Likes

There’s the answer. It took self-discipline and total commitment to break away from one of the most addictive substances known: nicotine. In learning to overcome one personal challenge, you have the way to overcome all personal challenges. You have self-discipline.

“When you know the way broadly, you can see it in all things.”

-Miyomoto Musashi-

1 Like