Not drank in 210 days. Although Smoking Weed

Hi,
I’ve not had a drink in a while now which is my main addiction and problem causer . I go to AA and am a secutery at one local meeting! (Should I be doing this?)
However Weed, especially for the last few weeks has become a problem e.g. smoking pretty much all day for the last 2 1/2 weeks now.
Im spending a lot of money, its effecting my job in terms of social interactions, not being myself while stoned etc. Also, my GF and I recently got engaged which is super great! But at the moment I’m lying to her that I’m not smoking weed during the week (as we are living apart) This is not good. I need to at least try take a break for a while as it’s starting to get out of hand being stoned all day. Otherwise annoyed or in a bad mood if I dont have weed. Any advise on to snap out of this???

3 Likes

Are you working/have worked the steps with your sponsor? This may be a good thing to take to them.

I’ve been overdoing it again with nicotine lately. Quite different, I know, but also sensing how it’s getting me anxious, crap sleep, wound up and talking over people. Not to mention possibly threatening my sobriety from the booze.

This weekend trying to get honest with myself and other people. Taking inventory and applying everything I did for drinking to this. Frankly still working on my willingness. Sounds like you’re a good deal ahead on that though. :blush:

1 Like

Hello paddy! Good job at not drinking. I also replaced alcohol with weed for a while and realized I was very depressed from it. And it’s just going from one addiction to another, with a whole set of new problems. Some may feel that marijuana helps them, but I am not one of those people.
My sponsor says to choose the next right thing to do. Baby steps. You are fortunate to have a gf that does not partake as this will make it easier for you to quit!
Maybe open up to her about your use to hold yourself accountable? It’s all up to you.
I think it’s awesome that you are volunteering your service at the aa meeting. Go you!
Since you know that the marijuana is affecting you negatively, as I did, you may want to stop. It reminds me of the first step of aa. After a couple days of not smoking, I felt so much better, back to the old me.
You can do this. And remember to go easy on yourself because this is a difficult road!

4 Likes

You seem to like AA if you are a secretary…doing your service…what about adding in NA or Marijuana Anonymous too?

1 Like

For me that would not work. I am a true alcoholic, and addict to the core. If one is good, two is better, keep it coming. Oreo cookies cant be in my house…why…a normal person can eat a couple…me the whole damn package. Got a case of tea…gone in a day…buy just 1 donut? Hell no I buy 3…or 4…i shoot competitively, all my free time is that…

Moral of the story, if I am not careful…everything is done in excess. The good news…you have beaten alcohol for 210 days…you know how…apply the same principles to the weed

4 Likes

I don’t have to much to add to what was already said in the above post.

I tried compensating weed for alcohol and all It did was make me paranoid and make the urge to drink that much stronger. Getting high won’t help anything, it will just lead you back to getting buzzed every night on alcohol.

3 Likes

Well you’ve done booze. You can do weed. Otherwise your not really sober. Your still just masking the problem.
@anon46927530 says it all really.
Think about what your fiance would say.:grinning:

I had to quit both because they were partners in crime for me. I am now 10 days sober and hope to continue the path of sobriety. I wish you all the best

3 Likes