Not feeling the love after 30 days

30 days sober yesterday and very proud of myself. Most of the time it has been good. My friends though are not exactly cheering my success. The non-drinkers who have actually been encouraging me before to quit, as I am overdoing it, give me thumbs up and no further comment. I guess to them it is not a big deal as they don’t drink (or rarely) so they don’t appreciate what a big deal it is for me. The drinkers are being dismissive, laughing and waiting for me to fail (as usually happens in less than 2 months).

Now I know this is entirely my journey and I am doing this for me, but could really use some cheering and encouragement as I am beginning to find this more difficult now and am not at all feeling safe from relapse. I feel a bit lost and lonely and wish some of the people I know and call friends to actually give me some recognition or motivation. Maybe I am just being sad and ask too much.

How are you all finding out your friends and family’s reaction to your sobriety at various milestones. I so want to stick with it this time and never drink again. I know I can;t do moderation.

10 Likes

I guess the biggest support I have gotten is from fellow recovering addicts, like here on this forum or AA meetings. Because as you said, if people rarely drink they don’t understand our struggles, and those who are drinking, well they are most likely dealing with their own demons and don’t want t think about their own drinking perhaps. That is sadly my reality,but I hope you can find at least some support and love on this forum, because we are definitely all cheering you on! :blush: :sunny: :thumbsup:

7 Likes

30 days Vess! Awesome! Yeah! Now you go a prove those others wrong. You can stay sober; one day at a time. You so got this! Congratulations, and don’t let those that don’t understand or are jealous bring you down. We got your back! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah on your 30 days @Vess!! You are doing great. I agree with @Laualamp. I have found very few people excited about my journey except for my kids. And that’s ok. I love being sober!! I’m excited for you!!

2 Likes

My biggest support comes from other recovering alcoholics and addicts. They are the only ones that fully understand. Find a recovery program like @Laualamp mentioned (AA, SMART) and work on the “why” you drank in the first place, along with dumping that baggage from the past you’re carrying around. There’s too many resources out there to use rather than just abstaining and being unhappy.

1 Like

WOOHOOO congratulations!!! 30 is a huge accomplishment!! For me the beginning was the hardest. I’m sorry that you’re lacking support from those you know. I don’t know the whole situation but they all should be cheering you on. Maybe some of them are seeing you being successful and moving on with your life away from drinking and they are resentful because they aren’t? Whatever the reason is please do not let it rain on your sober parade! There are always going to be ppl who don’t understand or don’t care enough, or whatever their reason for being a douche is, but they are not you, they are not living your life. They don’t really matter, especially when it comes to YOUR sobriety! If you need encouragement come here because you are guaranteed to get it here! Keep at it, I am so proud of you :grin:

4 Likes

Well, I will cheer for you.

:tada::tada::tada::tada:

I agree with others. Only others in recovery can understand what an accomplishment this is for you. Either use us (and we are thrilled to be used) or find an in person support group. You need encouragement to get you through the rough patches.

2 Likes

30 days is huge :blush: you deserve big congrats! Its hard stuff this sobriety and sometimes harder as we each experience each moment so differently. Most of my crew have been supportive but i reckon thats cause i could be a bit of a dick when i drank. Keep taking it one day at a time and come here as often as you need - the forum is an excellent support. You got this xx

2 Likes

Wise and kind words @Oliverjava and although this is my first post in this forum, I have been reading few of your posts during my journey and have found much encouragement!
I am already finding more time to do the things I like, now that I am not busy drinking any minute when I am not at work. It is great and can only get better.
I did go to AA meeting once but it made me very sad. There was so much pain in this room, I just could not take it and never went back. I guess I am lucky in a way that my life is actually quite comfortable and I really have no reason or excuse to continue this self-destruction, which has been ongoing for 20 years.
I have for now started eating healthier and joined a yoga class…

3 Likes

Thank you so much everyone for the support and well done to all of you too, for being here on this journey! I shall check in more often and make sure I stay on track, We can all do this!

Awesome!! :tada: I’m right behind you with 26 days. My “friends” are all the ones who come into the bar I work and would want me to celebrate 30 days with a shot. :astonished:. I guess it’s really frustrating when people we think care about us don’t seem to. This forum has been awesome and everyone on here is so encouraging and supportive. I went to one AA meeting as well and i know exactly what you mean… keep up the great work! And I’ll hopefully always be behind you just a few days!

1 Like

Oh dear :slight_smile: I already have filtered quite a few, so the number of ‘friends’ left is not that big anyway. I will for the time being make sure I stay sober and hope that some day, not drinking won’t be a big deal anymore but a normal part of me and life, just as it is for my few friends.

1 Like

Well done on 26 days+! Let’s achieve those milestones! The forum is great :slight_smile:

Fantastic point. I went from a massive circle of friends to 4 and I now love those guys like brothers and sisters. When the chips are down and shit gets real you know exactly who has your back.

1 Like

Your doing wonderful!! And as far as I can see if you ever need some great support… Keep coming here!! There’s more then enough to go around. Continue to prove those ppl wrong that wanna see you fail! It’s the best revenge!

1 Like