Odd menstrual cycle after becoming sober

Hello all. This is a weird topic but I’m curious to know if any other women experienced a change in their menstrual cycle after they quit drinking, and particularly so, if they were on birth control. I am 19 days sober today and take a daily birth control pill and I somehow started my period. I haven’t missed a pill, I was late taking yesterday and todays pill by a few hours each, but that has never caused a period to start. I just find it odd.
Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!
:black_heart:

1 Like

Yes I did some research and read that it balances the hormones, but I’ve been on birth control for so long and it’s just so weird that I’m getting a period and cramping now when I haven’t missed my pills

1 Like

Unfortunately, I had a hysterectomy at the age of 32, long before I got sober, so I have no advice to give you. But I did want to link a thread you may find helpful: Women’s hormonal roller-coaster

3 Likes

Possibly your body is going to go through some abnormal changes especially during the first month. Getting sober your body doesn’t know what to do so it’s going to act up, it freaking out so send in the breakthrough bleeding
I remember another person in the sight has a complaint of severe acne while detoxing. Check next month and see if it’s the same or if regulates. I’ve had a sporadic period my entire life so I can’t help. I had an ablation to stop mine and that didn’t even work

1 Like

My cycle started earlier than usual my first cycle after sobriety and I am not on birth control. I think my hormones are balancing themselves out after years of fighting against alcohol for supremacy in my body. Mood swings hit me hard too. Hang in there! :heart:

1 Like

I’m definitely going to check with my doctor. And I haven’t had a pap in a long time, I am definitely due for one.

1 Like

Thank you for this link, I will check it out!

1 Like

Oh wow, I’m so glad my acne cleared up since I stopped drinking! I’m sure it’s just odd hormonal breakthrough bleeding. Just sucks, my birthday is in 2 days and who wants their period on their birthday! :weary:

Yes! Im 25 days sober and my period that was last week started 2-3 days earlier than usual and the flow was heavier. I take daily birth control also and it definitely surprised me lol but makes sense being a hormonal balance

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one going through this on birth control! Thanks for your input! :blush:

1 Like