Oh Canada!

I miss Canada. I used to spend most of my winters there. Such a beautiful country! And now I can never go back. It’s so painful to think that I lost that opportunity because of my drinking.

I have two DUI’s on my record from 2007 and 2008. I’ve been doing quite well with maintaining my sobriety with one relapse in ten years. My biggest regret is not being able to go into Canada anymore. Turns out, two DUI’s is enough to cause you to not be permitted in the country anymore. I struggle with that often.

Canada is where I started rock climbing and snowboarding, and I have family there.

Anyone else ever have to deal with this issue?

1 Like

I think it’s only a ten year ban but I could be wrong

It’s been a few years since I looked into it, but I thought that was only if you had one. Or maybe it was five years for one? I know that you can pay a lot of money and do some paperwork to have it regain entry, but I believe you can still have a hard time crossing after that.

I live in Canada and it’s the same thing for the US: one DUI and you can’t go to the states. My friend got it like 5 years ago and still can’t ask for pardon. They say it’s ten years then you can ask for pardon. But his lawyer says it can be done before, from 6 to 8 years.

2 Likes

I’m Canadian and by some grace I never got a DUI.

I have many friends that are not permitted in the US and it’s such a struggle for them, but as posted above there are ways to get a pardon. Time of one of them.

I do know there are many places in the US that are similar to Canada, like Montana. The mountains there are what I’ve heard to be great and possibly even better than here.

1 Like

Interesting. I didn’t know that it worked that way for the States. I think I’ll start looking into a pardon. Especially if we move back to Michigan some day.