Ok I'm becoming an alcoholic and it's time to stop

I’m at work by 530 or 6 these days, so always early.

I bucked the idea of personal therapy when it was brought up at our couples session. My wife had to drag me to the couple’s meeting at the beginning, bless her wonderful heart.

My therapy serves a completely different need that I can’t get on my own or in meetings. The crosstalk from an impartial listener lets me see when I’m being too hard on myself and also when I’m bullshiting myself. You can read about the theory of addiction, but there’s nothing like pulling apart the personal pieces with someone who has worked with a spectrum of addiction. I’ve been going to sessions for about 2 years now, and these last 3 months have seen the greatest change. I would recommend a professional therapist to anyone serious about healing themselves.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input pal I really do value it.
Bloody hell @Meggers how come your there that early,is it to oversee the days prep or something? :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s to DO the days prep. I’m a working bitch just like everyone else. I just get paid more to do more. I lead by example, not by screaming.

I thought you just managed I didn’t realise you were involved with doing the food prep as well. I suppose if you want a job done properly… :+1::slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a manager on paper. I’m in the trenches everyday. I’m “team leader”. I fucking hate that term, but it allows me to serve some times, which means tips. We don’t have any “managers,” but we have GMs that are above me that don’t hang out here. Mostly because they have me.

1 Like

Yay congratulations the first step is admitting we are powerless to alcohol. I’m on day 23 and am still working on my second step. I would highly recommend a sponsor they are someone you can talk to when you feel like drinking and will remind you why you quit. They are a powerful and useful tool.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m about to have one week in a couple hours. I’ve been talking about that with a good buddy of mine and he’s been my lifeline. My wife, too, has been gracious and is constantly reminding me what I have to stay sober for. I accept that I have a problem and that I cannot alone control it. This much is clear given my original post right?

1 Like

We see so many people who admit they have a problem out loud, then either disappear or just continue relapsing for a long time. I’m sure it’s the same at meetings. I’m glad you are sticking around and still sober!

How are you feeling? Any of the anger subsiding?

1 Like

About to hit day 10. A lot better. I can focus, I can talk, my daughter is hugging me more. Today my 3 year old boy came outside with me to do some work on the truck with Daddy. He loved it. I did too.

Anger hasn’t happened in a couple days. I’ve had some temptations. You always see the alcoholic on TV stuggling with the decision to drink or not. For me it was like…well I could imagine how easy it would be to just have a beer or whatever. Store isn’t far right? But I had scheduled myself a task to upgrade my trucks headlights today and honestly I got so into it I forgot about wanting a drink. Then my son came outside after his nap and I really forgot. In the past I would have had a coffee with some whisky thrown in, assuming I made it outside.

So strange to see myself changing so rapidly. I’m ok with it. But sobriety has been good. Hard but good.

Thanks for asking.

2 Likes

I am sorry it took me a couple days, I’m using the Android app and it never alerts me to any messages or whatever

1 Like

Proud of you got taking the step!

Hey man, no worries. You gotta do what you gotta do. I’m so glad you are feeling better! Now it’s time to start staying vigilant. This disease will creep up on you hardest when we are doing well. It will start saying things like, “You were able to quit, maybe you don’t really have a problem,” or, “have you ever REALLY tried to moderate?” The worst one is, “You’ve done so good, time to celebrate with a beer.” I can’t tell you how many people fall because of thoughts like these. This is why a program is so necessary! And I don’t mean strictly meetings, although they seem incredibly helpful. Have you been honest with your therapist about the drinking, yet? Have you tried any meetings? We can’t do this alone.

Also, there is a setting that will send emails when you have messages, but no immediate alerts from the app otherwise.

This is so true and also a little strange when I think about it, I’m often blindsided by intense compulsion to use when everything’s going great, being aware of this occurrence however is good for recognising when it’s likely to happen and let’s me have the toolbox at the ready. Knowledge is power!!! :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve seen that. Just now lol. I have 3 weeks today!

1 Like

Well, how the hell are you feeling?

Sighing because I’m just now seeing this, I haven’t been remembering to check here. I’m still doing ok. You’d think that during the current pandemic crisis, especially with my wife being one of the people who could die if she catches it because she has asthma, that the stress level would be so high that I’d want to have a drink to calm the stress level down. Strangely enough, it’s been so far from my mind that I forgot about it. I see this as both a good and bad thing, because I don’t want to drink yes, but I also don’t want to loose sight of maintaining my sobriety. How are you?

1 Like

I’m doing good, all things considered. I’m on of the temporarily laid off people, so trying to figure out what’s going on there, but other than that I’m healthy and happy. Trying to make sure all my employees have food. I manage a restaurant and instead of throwing things out I’m making sure everyone knows they can come pick stuff up if they need it. Also getting in touch with local food banks and the like to see who will take stuff when time draws closer to needing to throw it out. Trying to stay busy, like everyone else.

Hopefully you and your wife will remain healthy through this thing. As far as checking in here, yes it’s a good idea. Keep it as a priority, but don’t neglect the other parts of you life as well. I’m sure we will see you around, especially if you are in need of support.

1 Like

Gosh that’s just awful. I’m a firefighter/EMT and I feel like our call volume has quintupled and I’m making it a point to remember that everyone I see is someone who might be going through what you’re going through.

That’s also a worry because I’m going to be exposed a lot. We are taking every precaution and that’s going to be an issue eventually with supplies and stuff. We have already been issued reusable goggles and now we will be using reusable masks.

It’s freaky

Just follow the guidelines, it’s all you can do. So many of us are going to be exposed no matter what, so all we can do is be prepared. I salute you, friend, for what you do! Its not something most people are capable of.