Ok smokers / ex smokers

I gave up Weed and tobacco on Dec 24th 2015 and never looked back. Vaping worked for me, in fact I’d still be smoking if it wasn’t for vaping.
Used to have to use inhalers 3-times a day for smoking induced asthma.
Now I don’t really wheeze anymore and haven’t used an inhaler in over a year. I used to work in a cardiac ward and go and smoke on my lunch break; while some poor patients were gasping their last breath. Never will smoke again EVER! Great decision to give them up! Fair play

3 Likes

First off, congrats! That’s awesome. It’s not an easy thing to do. Secondly, yes it’s amazing what we do to our bodies while others are holding on, quite literally, to their own lives. I also work I’m the medical field and see woman all day battling breast, ovarian, cervical and other cancers. Here I am puffing away. The irony right? Day 12 today no smoking and third day of the patch. Feeling pretty good!! Keep fighting the good fight!!

3 Likes

I quit almost 9 years ago by reading ‘The Easy Way to Stop Smoking’ by Allen Carr. I know several others who have kicked it with this book too. Also, I took it one day at a time. I would wake up and say ‘today I will not smoke’. One of the best decisions I ever made. Good luck! :blush:

2 Likes

Just the fact that you want this for yourself is amazing. I quit smoking 6 months before I quit drinking thinking that smoking was the trigger to drinking. Either way you go about it I can promise you you’ll feel amazing being a non smoker!

1 Like

Hey! Six months sober. Month and a half off cigs. I quit smoking when I encountered financial hardship and found that, like sobriety, you need to manage your triggers. For me, smoke breaks made a get out of conversation free card. Now I don’t care when conversations get awkward so there’s no need to smoke.

1 Like

9 years? That’s awesome! Good for you. I’m just 8 years, 10 months and 19 days behind you. :muscle::+1::slight_smile:️!! Woot woot. I got this!

2 Likes

Yeah I had to quit drinking first. That was for sure becoming a major problem in my life. As of today I’m 93 days sober and 12 days smoke free! I feel great so far.

3 Likes

Thank you and you’ve totally got this! One day at a time.

After smoking for 30+ years, my quit of nicotine finally stuck in 2008…I spent 3 years prior quitting and relapsing and hating it and myself. The thing was I would just keep quitting over and over…whether I lasted 3 days or 3 months and then smoked again for days and months, I just kept quitting.

I got addicted to the lozenges for awhile and they rotted my teeth for a bit. Thank God I got over them.

Lots of exercise, water, sugar free cinnamons and lots of time on quitnet to read and get,support…just like here.

What FINALLY pushed me over the top was ditching all nicotine (lozenges) and taking Wellbutrin for about 5 months. The nicotine is what you are addicted to, so it is like drinking alcohol…you have to cut it out or you just keep having the nicotine anxiety until you cut it out.

It is tough but life changing…like getting sober.

And so worth it.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. I started with the patch to help me adjust to a whole new routine. Mornings, that’s the first thing I went for. Now I get right into the shower. Green tea instead of coffee and out the house I go.

I stopped the patch on Saturday, well Friday night. It didn’t make sense to me to keep having nicotine put into my body. I thought " ok, I’ve stopped smoking and then I have to go through withdrawals again to get off the patch?" Nah. Going through this once and that’s it. Job done :blush:

4 Likes

I have had the most success with cold turkey. Three rough days and then it’s all about habit and social patterns…that’s the part that gets me every time. There us a website all about cold turkey quitting called www.whyquit.com.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link :+1::slight_smile:

My friend recently quit smoking by dipping toothpicks into cinnamon and black pepper oil and chewing on them when she felt the urge.

I quit smoking in 1997 after 20 years of a pack or two a day. Woke up one morning and realized cigerettes no longer served a purpose in my life and haven’t missed them since.

3 Likes

Hi there, I know this post was from a long while ago but I just wanted to see how you’re doing with not smoking? I’ve heard GREAT things about that book. I actually forgot until now. I think I will give it a go. I MUST stop smoking.

1 Like