Ok smokers / ex smokers

So now that I’ve gotten 75 days alcohol free in me, my next step is to quit smoking these damned cigarettes! I’ve been smoking over 20 years now and I’ve noticed I’m actually smoking more since I’ve quit drinking.
I can’t stand the smell / taste of them anymore and yet I just keep lighting then up. I have an appt next Tuesday with my doctor so I can get a prescription for the patch.
In the past I’ve tried chantex and the gum, both terrible. I’m hoping the patch will work for me. I feel I’m really ready to give this up now. I feel kind of sad about it but ready none the less.
Any advice as to what helped you out or is helping you? I’d appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you :blush:

6 Likes

I hear ya! I’ve been smoking way more and everyday, I try to quit and I keep slipping. It’s very frustrating. I managed to quit 3 months last summer, but I was using an e-cig and vaping. The patch helped a bit when I used it before. I’ve been using the lozenges and they work for me pretty well…the gum was gross! I called 1-800-quit-now yesterday (that might be a NJ/PA thing, I’m not sure) and they recommended using the patch along with the lozenges, so I’m going to give that a try. They are sending me a box of both, which is helpful. Good luck on quitting and let me know what works for you! :slight_smile:

I smoked for 15 years and Dec. 2015 I decided to vape. I got a starter kit for $79. (Vaping is actually pretty cheap) My research taught me being that I was a pack and a half a day smoker, that 6mg nicotine to 3mg would help me slow the cravings down to nothing. I only vape now for the taste (gone days without vaping) and have been nicotine free since October of last year. I’m not selling vape mods or Ejuice. Yes it can cause health issues but so can freaking carbs :smile:

6 Likes

I used a vape to transition. I also smoked for 20 years. About a pack a day while I’d drink at night. I stopped drinking a few months ago and quit smoking a few weeks after that.

I don’t use the vape every day and I always leave it at home, but when I’m at risk of smoking it’s there.

It had gotten to the point where I didn’t want anyone to know I smoked and I was embarrassed about it. So fist step was never smoking outside the house, and always taking a shower / brushing my teeth after I smoked. I also had to be wearing specific clothing lol. Seems elaborate but but putting so many conditions on the smoking made it easier to quit down the line.

Maybe try switching up your smoking habits and routines as much as possible?

3 Likes

Vape pens are the only thing that has worked for me, still have the occasional cigarette, but I don’t buy any. I don’t even bother with the expensive fancy vape mod things I just get the cheap ass ones lol because I don’t wanna be mistaken for a hipster :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Thank you, yes it is very frustrating indeed! I’ll let you know how the patches work. :blush::+1:

Sunflower seeds are soooooo addicting lol. I’ll have to keep a stash of them everywhere. I’ve heard they work well when trying to quit also. I must start picking up my guitar more often. Thanks for the advice. :blush:

1 Like

If my patches don’t work for me my next step will be vaping. Yes those damn carbs are a killer! Lol. Thank you for your input. :blush:

I don’t smoke in the house which is a good thing. The car though? Ughhh that’s a killer for me. My boyfriend doesn’t smoke so it’s easy when I’m with him. I’ve never smoked around him. When I’m home? That’s a different story. Lol. I’m hoping the patch will work for me. Thank you :blush:

Lol. That vape seems to be the best so far from what I’ve read. I’ll give it a go if the patches don’t work.

1 Like

I smoked for almost 20 years. After quite a few tries the patch worked for me. Now I don’t even think about smoking. You must do all 3 steps though and it sounds like you really want to quit which is a plus, it’s mostly mental. Good luck! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I’m definitely ready to quit the smokes! :+1::blush:

I quit drinking and smoking at the same time. Its been 29 days. I tried to just quit drinking last time and started smoking like a friggin chimney. This time i realized they go hand and hand for me so both had to go. Also dont feel like dying gasping for air… Honestly, when i quit both this time the first week i allowed myself to sleep a lot and eat treats… my brain sort of saw the food as a replacement… then i slowly cut back on the sugar and started exercising. I also smoked like a pack the day before i stopped on purpose which completely disgusted me and made me not want one. Once u fully commit there is no stopping you. You can do it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for your inspiring words. I am ready to quit. I just need to keep it in my mind that I can do it! Congrats to you, that’s awesome that you gave up both at the same time. :+1::blush:

2 Likes

Hey @ShellyP! How’s it going with quitting smoking? I’m struggling, but I have one day down. I’ve been eating these natural organic lollipops that are so yummy everytime I get a craving. I think they are helping a bit plus I’m using the patch. I hope it’s going well for you!

2 Likes

Hey @MelB. It’s going. Lol. I’m on day 11 today. I’ve been using the patch and it seems to be working well. I still get cravings here and there but after the initial first 3-5 days or so they’re not so frequent. Good for you! Hang in there. We got this. It’s tough but totally worth it! This is for sure much harder to quit, for me anyway, than drinking was. Gotta keep pushing on! Let me know if you need anything. :blush::+1::muscle:

3 Likes

11 days! That’s great!! So proud of you! It is really hard to stop smoking! I’m not overly confident that this will be my time because I’ve been really stressed, but I’m still giving it another go. I just keep telling myself I won’t smoke today. Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I quit smoking in November. I did it by buying a sewing machine and not leaving the house for 4 days, lol! Every time I wanted to smoke, I ate candy and made something. Many bags, skirts, and slippers later, I am a ex-smoker!

You can quit if you are VERY committed. You did it with alcohol so I am sure you can rock this!

1 Like

@Janelle Haha, I am eating a lot of candy and it’s helping! You sew, that’s awesome! That is an old hobby and love of mine that I plan on reviving in my recovery. I’m still early on though (I had 18 days, relapsed and now I have 5 days) and I’m focused on reading lots about alcohol and addiction, journaling and cleaning my apartment, which I’ve neglected for too long. I am going a little easy on myself about the smoking right now, but you are right…if I commit to quitting, I can do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hang in there, it is so difficult to give up. I’ve not used the patch yesterday and again today so far. I want to see if I can do it without. I do keep a patch on me just in case my urges become too much. I have been a bit Moody. Lol. Cashews, almonds and sunflower seeds have really really really helped me a lot!

1 Like