On the road to sobriety

Hello, I’m Ross, I’m new here! Just created my account today…

This is my first day of sobriety, I have decided to become sober because of multiple reasons; many of you may disagree and think my decisions was wrong and I totally agree with that, I lost my licence due to smoking & driving, I want to quit because iv noticed that this habit drains my money & I want to be able to save, build a family, have nice holidays & whilst doing this I feel like I’m always at a stopping point. I want to work on getting my mental health better, I have therapists to help me with this. Any motivation tips are helpful & anything that you may have found to help with your recovery then please let me know & I can try these to see if it helps me.

Thank you for reading my post, I will try to respond to all replies & comments as soon as I can, any questions you may have then ask away… I’m an open book!

7 Likes

Hiya Ross (kemp?!). Welcome!! Hope you find the support you need here. I’ve found it very helpful to chat on here and get sober. If I can, you absolutely can!

1 Like

Any reason is a good reason to quit an addiction

Welcome to the sober party. This amazing supportive community has been key to my sustained sobriety. Read around and check in lots

1 Like

Hello Ross, welcome to the talking sober family. Read around and take part. Whatever reason you have for your own sobriety, it’s the right reason and right decision. And you don’t have to explain yourself, no judgement.
Hope to see you around on your journey.
:squid:

2 Likes

Welcome Ross - this is a very supportive community to be a part of. Take some time to read around and use the magnifying glass to search for topics you may be interested in. This community is jumping 24 hours a day so someone is always around to help.

Whatever your reasons may be they are your reasons and i don’t think anyone would disagree with your decisions.

Is this your first time trying to quit?
Have you tried a meeting (in person or on line)

I have found that a supportive community (this one in particular has been a saving grace) and also having plenty of activities to do help keep me busy and distracted. (games, workouts, puzzles, knitting, walking, meditating, cooking, dancing…etc)

Also - when i quit smoking cigs/ weed – i made sure to have gum on hand. Some people like chewing on straws. Mainly to snub out your oral fixation needs.

Wishing you luck on this journey and do hope to see you around. The check in thread in particular is very helpful to keep us accountable.

Checking in daily to maintain focus #58

1 Like

You are making a great decision!

Great decision, ive yet to find anyone that has regretted going sober :blush:

Welcome aboard ! You may find the following thread helpful. It was started by @HoofHearted o er a year ago. There is a lot of good advice and support here! Wish you well.

https://talkingsober.com/t/change-your-relationship-with-alcohol/137324