One baby step at a time

I told my sister about my addiction. She was sad, but also curious, and asked me a lot of questions. We agreed that telling my parents right now is a terrible idea.

I have also talked to my doctor twice this week,and she is prescribing me naltrexone to give me a start while we wait for the day program at the hospital to have a space available.

One baby tiptoe at a time.

10 Likes

Well done Sheepie.
That’s the way!

3 Likes

Admitting is more than a baby step, its an achievement and you’ve also told not just your doctor but also a family member. Be proud and good luck!

5 Likes

I am glad you have a plan and a supportive sister and doctor. :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I cried when I thanked my doctor for being so supportive. She is more than happy to write me a note to take as much time off of work as I need, but I want to keep working until the day program becomes available. It is a 6 hour per day, 5 days per week intensive group and individual counseling program. I can also get a full evaluation of my psychiatric meds, and hopefully start living my life with NO addictions of ANY kind. I want to completely immerse myself in the program, and money being what it is, I want to work as long as possible. Once I am accepted into one of the two programs I am on the list for, it is full tilt towards living a life with NO compulsions or addictions. I don’t even know what that is like. I have never NOT searched for something to take the sting of reality away.

4 Likes

That is fantastic!! I would’ve cried as well. What a relief to be heard and supported. Bravo for reaching out and taking care of YOU!! :heart::heart:

3 Likes

It is starting to click in that it is not enough to just WANT to recover. I have to NEED to recover. Like, my primary focus needs to be on recovery. I can maintain until I get into my program, and the naltrexone will help, but this has to be the number one issue in my life. Everything else can wait.

4 Likes

The wonderful world of opiods… your right when you say it’s the number 1 thing. Chase it like active addiction and you’ll have a chance to live the life you were ment to live! You deserve it!

Tell me, what has your naltrexone experience been like? Have the cravings been removed?

Congratulations on taking such positive steps in your journey of recovery. I suffered for a long time with untreated opiod abuse disorder, and I am here for you!!

1 Like

I will definitely let you know what it is like. I have to get baseline bloodwork first, then my MD will prescribe me the medication. I can have the bloodwork done Monday, and should be able to start Tuesday.

Thank you for your kind words and support.

1 Like

These may be the first steps, but these are BIG steps. Good for you for not just deciding you want to be sober, but for actually getting a plan in place to do so! I think that speaks volumes about how serious you are. I think completely immersing yourself in the program is the best attitude to go in with.

Keep us posted on the progress! Rooting for you. :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words of support. I really love that everyone here can understand addiction, and what it FEELS like. It is so hard to explain to people who don’t have an addiction of any kind just what that compulsion is like.

Going to my parents this weekend for a little visit. I still don’t want to tell them. They are rather “old-school” and I don’t believe that they would understand. I don’t think that’s wrong of me. Not at this stage, at least.

I wonder sometimes what my life is going to look like when I 100% feel all of my emotions. I am scared to death of it, actually.

3 Likes

Don’t think about it.
The saying One Day At A Time is there for just this.
Stay in the now and face things when you get there.
We have a habit of overthinking things and it just makes things so much more painful than it could actually be.
Same as telling your parents.
We tend the overthink this as well. How do we know what way they will act unless we tell them.
I remember my father having a right go at me when I was a child when he found out I smoked.
When I told him I had a problem with alcohol he was supporting.
Just play it by ear, there is no rush to tell anyone and if you just live one day at a time, you will find that you will know when something is the right thing to do.
This is what I mean when I said relax to you the other day.
Just relax into your recovery. Don’t panic about anything that you have no control over or had not even happened yet.
It’s hard I know. Anxiety is a dreadful thing to deal with. Especially when we’ve been used to just drowning it out.

3 Likes

If you don’t want to tell them yet, then don’t tell them. As long as you’re getting the help you need and staying sober, that’s what matters. I think the moment will present itself and you’ll know when you’re ready to let them in on it.

2 Likes

Yes! Better days are coming. :lion::+1:

1 Like