Opiate Withdrawal

Yes, I was on opiates for 15 years. The last time I was in rehab, they offered me Suboxone but that was not for me. Then they told me about Vivitrol. I was on that for 8 months. It was wonderful. A shot in the butt once a month. It helped me with cravings so much. It doesnt contain synthetic opiates like Suboxone does. You can stay on it for 18 months if needed. If you take any opiate it will block it. It costs $1500 per shot but I have Medicaid and only had to pay $3.90.

Hey are u there

I get my vivitrol shots for free from my state (Missouri) as long as I complete my IOP and continue meeting with my councilor once a month. @Manda maybe your state has something similar? I highly recommend looking into it. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! Alcohol is my first doc but opiates were a close second so its kinda perfect for me. Anyway hope you find something that works for you, whatever it may be!

I feel ya girl I went through that not to long ago… it fucking sucks but it’s well.worth it in the long run… hang in there you’re more then welcome to pm anytime… Good luck!!!

Hello everyone and yes Donnie I definitely agree with you about using Suboxone sparingly. As much as it instantly stops your withdrawal symptoms and it feels like a godsend in the moment, if you don’t taper down quickly and start with a small amount versus taking a whole 8 mg strip when it’s time to stop it will be just as bad withdrawals as if you were still on the opiate. About 5 years ago when I first realized I had a problem with opiates, I was a server at IHOP and one of my co-workers that I used to go and grab some oxys for her and myself after work told me about her horrible pass using every opiate from hydrocodones to heroin. I was very shocked and amazed because she was only 19 and she showed me where she used to use the needle which was scary for me because I hate needles and I would never think about doing heroin. She then gave me this wonderful medicine or so I thought called Suboxone. She told me how to do it and she recommended that I take the whole thing but I wasn’t sure because she said that there would also be effects as if I were high with the whole strip. So I decided to do half of the 8 mg strip and I felt absolutely amazing!!! I wondered where this had been my whole addiction and why I never sought out that cure. I told everyone that was close to me like my best friend and sister because of course we all had the same issue with addictions to opiates it was the highlight of our day when we could get together and get high and have an amazing time doing so. To make a long story short I ended up getting a good bit of her prescription each month because she liked to float back and forth between the Suboxone and opiates. I ended up being on Suboxone for more than a year definitely way longer than I thought I would be. I started to notice that once I didn’t have anymore I would still feel the achey flu like symptoms that withdrawals from opiates would give me. When I started doing research on doctors that prescribe Suboxone I came to the conclusion that most people do they put you on a very high amount and it definitely helps you feel better but the taper process that most doctors recommend or 4 years to come. I definitely didn’t want to be dealing with taking it daily for years on end and had I done my research before I started taking it I would have definitely tapered quicker then being on it for about a year. After 5 years of trial and error and several relapses later I have learned that the best thing to do when you want to stop taking opiates would be to find about 3/8mg Suboxone and break them into 8 pieces. Folded in half and then again for each half and then again. Take one sixteenth of a piece in the morning and one before bed until you don’t have anymore. Yes you will be one foot in and one foot out of withdrawals but when you are done with all of it, it is definitely manageable to get through the next week because you know what it slightly feels like at that point. Although I am only into my sobriety now about 2 days this time, I only have about 1/2 of a 4 mg Suboxone and I don’t plan on getting anymore because I want to slightly experience the misery to never go back to that life. I hope I have helped you with this. I want someone to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. And we can walk to the end together!!!

1 Like

Thanks @Rosey!!! Means alot that u r willing to give helpful advice to someone u know is struggling. I appreciate it so much and will definetly look into it. I am trying so hard and I wanna keep focus on what’s ahead, be nice to know something or someone can help me. Nice to not feel alone! Thanks again, girl! Here’s to recovery!!! Here’s to day 5 and here’s to staying strong!!!

1 Like

What was your dosage on suboxone? I have 8mg strips can I cut it into 4 and start there tomorrow is day 1

Are you taking suboxone without being in the care of a physician? If so, be careful. I’d hate to see you trade one for another. With that being said, I was started on 4mg four times a day, starting day 3 I was taking 2mg three times a day until day five, then I was taken off altogether. I still had some withdrawal symptoms but very minor. Are you attending NA meetings? When cravings hit, post something here. NEVER CRAVE ALONE. Many of us have been where you are and will help in any way we can.

1 Like

I was doing a bunch of Roxy and xanax and just whatever Icoukd find…but I hadn’t gone 12 hours without getting high for 10 plus years…and maybe 20 years since I went over a day…
I quit cold Turkey also…I can remember getting sick like the flu for a couple days…after that O started hallucinating , seeing demons coming through the walls trying to take my soul…it all seemed so real but It couldn’t have been…day 6 I was not sick just full blown crazy…my wife called my brothers and they got me to a hospital where they put me in s detox center for 8 days…that’s 14 days total and they sent me to a rehab center from there for 33 days…I was miserable for about 3 months., I refused any meds and it took me forever to start getting any sleep .ike 2 or 3 months and more like 6 months before really getting any rest…at 8 months I started to turn s corner and sleeping all night…now at 11 months I sm starting to feel human and getting a little energy…
People talk about doing this or that 8 or 10 days in and Hell at a week if it hadn’t been for my wife and brothers I have no doubt I would have died…

My councilor at rehab said the higher and longer you fly the harder the crash…

But it will get better I just hate to see people told it will et better on a certain time line when it may take longer…
But it does get a lot better…

2 Likes