Opinions on AA

Yes, thanks @Eke.
I probably didn’t word it right. But you have done it far better than me. I was trying to distance AA from the church but didn’t quite do it right I think.

1 Like

I attended my first AA meeting this morning. It was an “All Women’s” meeting and in an area of town that I knew would provide diversity and hopefully another woman with my circumstances that I could identify with. It did not disappoint. I’m not big into organized religion. I was the only 1st time AA meeting person there. I introduced myself, shaking, and my eyes were opened that there are many out there like me. I also do online Smart Recovery meetings. No one judged me for that. I live in a very conservative and Old Testament God midwestern State, but there are pockets of areas where I know that they are more open minded then that. My first meeting was like hitting the lottery. A few of the ladies after shared other meetings I should attend through the week that share my values. I just wanted to share my experience as I was beyond pleasantly surprised. I’m fortunate to live in a city that provides over 500 meetings a day. There is a meeting out there for everyone, even those that aren’t “religious”.

5 Likes

Even if religion wasn’t mentioned me personally wouldn’t feel comfortable face to face talking I’m not shy just embarrassed, I’m obviously not as strong as I think I am or that wouldn’t worry me, I’m on day 10 so whatever I’m doing is working, if I fail this attempt, WHICH I WON’T, I think I would have to admit to myself I need some outside help. So far this group is working. Thanks again people.

4 Likes

AA. Spiritual therapy that has helped this chronic alcoholic achieve nearly 15 months of sobriety with relative ease, and has given me a life beyond my wildest expectations

I used to absolutely rubbish it until I actually sat down and listened and identified.

Give it a shot. Nothing to lose

6 Likes

Well done on 15 months, I got there once but starting again now. No mistakes this time.

2 Likes

Please know I’m not calling you out specifically. I meant to just send a general reply, not just to you. My apologies about that.

2 Likes

still, an interesting read.

2 Likes