Opiod and Fentanyl Overdose

I know!! It’s not even his doc- he’s always struggled with alcohol and ever so often he would decide to do other drugs when highly intoxicated. He was missing for 3 days before we had to identify him by his tattoos over the phone because of Covid. Reflecting on it now, I think I have ptsd from the whole scenario. Worst days of my life

4 Likes

Very sad!! I can’t imagine having a loved one go missing for 3 days. That’s scary as hell. Not being able to see him just makes the entire situation worse. Please get counseling at some point if you can. That’s a lot to deal with.

I got into coke pretty heavy and when I had urine tests in detox, meth came up very high. I never touched meth. Doctor said the coke was probably laced with it. Never know what you’re gonna get these days. I’m thankful I stopped when I did or I’d probably be dead by now.

3 Likes

Wow that is so scary! I am so sorry that happened to you. So glad your brother survived. My friend wasnt addicted to opiods either, she supposedly died from meth laced with fentanyl. My friends husband also died from heroin laced with fentanyl.

Back in my drug days we didnt worry about fentanyl and now it seems like its everywhere and its so terrifying! Your brother was so lucky.

4 Likes

Yes, I think this all the time too! I hate that I have to worry about my daughter when she grows up.

3 Likes

So true… As kids we would have any and every drug and then some, by the truck load, with no problem. Now in this new decade it’s completely the opposite. It’s a scary thought thinking about what things have evolved into.

Super super easy. I walked into the local health authority building (Mental Health and Substance Use department) and told the person at the front desk I wanted a naloxone kit. Someone trained me on it in minutes, and sent me home with my own naloxone kit in a carry case, and an information sheet. Don’t have to answer awkward questions, fill out mountains of paperwork. Just go (or call) and ask.

In my area it’s intramuscular naloxone they train and supply you with. Same active ingredient as Narcan, just an injection into the thigh or other large muscle through clothing, rather than a nasal spray.

Try starting here for your options for naloxone kits and training: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/problematic-prescription-drug-use/opioids/naloxone.html

Even if you don’t get a kit, it can still be useful to watch the the videos linked from that page about how to use it. Sometimes a person may be incapacitated but have a kit nearby.

Also good to know is that Canada does have its own Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act. Protects you as well as the person experiencing an overdose from certain drug charges, making it easier to decide to seek emergency help: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/problematic-prescription-drug-use/opioids/about-good-samaritan-drug-overdose-act.html

5 Likes

I can vouch for this. I overdosed on fentanyl last night and the noloxone was the only thing that saved me. Please please carry one with you if you’re going to use.

4 Likes

Do you have to pay for a naloxone prescription in the US?
We are given them here for free if a registered opiate addict.

1 Like

My agency hands out tens of thousands of narcan kits for free each year. I always stock up and hand them out in high overdose areas

4 Likes

Fentanyl for me has been A new discovery. I struggled with drinking for years and then recently I was introduced by these fake Percocets. I had an overdose about eight days ago and this gas station bathroom and was brought back with Narcan. There was a gas station associate who noticed I was in the bathroom for too long… I was trying to get right. Then they came in the bathroom and gave me this medication. I feel confused by this recent discovery of a new drug. And though I only did this for two weeks it really messed my head up. I was glad I was able to research about this as everything feels very new. I think I have eight or nine days. My body is still recovering. How quickly I got addicted. I feel ashamed for my decisions and actions but the only choice Forward Is recovery. I realize I can’t trade one drug for another. In the end this doesn’t make me happy and I’m trying to understand why I want to escape life so much.

2 Likes